Chief S1000Rr?

Chief,

What can you tell me about the bike? After all the miles the School has put on them you must have learned a lot.

Thanks,

Chief,

What can you tell me about the bike? After all the miles the School has put on them you must have learned a lot.

Thanks,

You could try and narrow that down a little. After four years I can say that BMW has a reputation of reliability for a reason, they make very nice machines. The S1000RR was a big change for us after running 550's and 600's for many years. Horse power can turn parts to dust but the S motor handles the power very well. One little thing that seems to be a wear item is input shaft bearing cup behind the clutch. If your bike or any S1000 seems loud at idle and changes tone when you pull the clutch it's time to replace the bearing assy. Other than that chain and sprockets will be lasting 12 to 16,000 miles. Don't even think about saving money on a chain, with this much power buy the best. Don't even think about an Aluminum rear either! OUr bikes have been the most durable bike to date.

Wouldn't a good 600 be better and easier to handle when teaching etc? ( Sorry for OT post )

I thought this myself. I was not really happy when I discovered that the School used big 1000cc bikes for school bikes. After 4 levels with the S1000RR I discovered I was VERY wrong in my initial thinking. Here's why.

1. The S1000RR's power modes allows anyone to ride at a power setting that they are most comfortable with.

2. The S1000RR's traction control system inspires huge confidence and it's nice that it's there.

3. The S1000RR's ABS brakes are great at saving you from yourself if you hit an SR and grab a hand full of brakes. Don't ask how I know this as I'll never tell. :)

Wouldn't a good 600 be better and easier to handle when teaching etc? ( Sorry for OT post )

I wasn't intimidated by the S1000RR (maybe I should've been) when I did my first school but I did wonder to myself why put new students on a literbike? However, I pretty quickly came to essentially the same realization (some of it was quickly/easily explained to me) as in rchase comments. The S1000RR essentially can be programmed to be more tame than a modern 600, as potent as all but the purpose built race team literbikes, or somewhere in between. It's a pretty awesome bike to be sure. The only potential downside I can see is very small and/or very weak riders might struggle with the bikes size/weight, but even a modern 600 could just as well be too much for such a rider, so in the end I expect that really has been a non-issue.

I'll give a biased opinion: crash numbers went down over 30% when we switched to the 1000. We didn't make any significant change to our training, that wasn't it. The bike was/is arguably the most powerful bike around, so that isn't it. Rchase brings up some good points. The chassis, handling, weight, weight centralization of the bike are also part of the overall killer package.

Stroker;

What may be missing here is which constructors were/are willing to participate in the Superbike School's program. I don't know the genesis of who approached who first but shortly after BMW rolled out the S1000R, it coincided with the School fleet becoming BMW's. From what I understand, it has been a marking play by BMW that has paid big dividends to both parties

Hit the nail on the head here:

I thought this myself. I was not really happy when I discovered that the School used big 1000cc bikes for school bikes. After 4 levels with the S1000RR I discovered I was VERY wrong in my initial thinking. Here's why.

1. The S1000RR's power modes allows anyone to ride at a power setting that they are most comfortable with.

2. The S1000RR's traction control system inspires huge confidence and it's nice that it's there.

3. The S1000RR's ABS brakes are great at saving you from yourself if you hit an SR and grab a hand full of brakes. Don't ask how I know this as I'll never tell. :)