Michelin Tires

I have Michelin Supersports on my MV Agusta F4 and a set of Michelin Pilot Power 3's on one of my R6's. Both tires are great but I have yet to try the Power Cup's. Some amazing grip even on their lower end tires. I love the Dunlop Q3's as well and may end up standardizing as they seem to be a great "do anything anywhere" tire.

csmith do you run manufactures tire pressures? or.....and how have you found yours for wear...I know they have a wear indicator in the slits of the tire....I found that if they start slipping to get rid of them....

No, I don't run the recommended pressures but they are pretty close. Of course they change from venue to venue, weather/air temps play a role as well and my personal preferences are a factor. I have ran them pretty high and pretty low and everywhere in between. Normally, I don't run 30 in the front, I run a tad less and I prefer the feel of 23-24 in the rear. Meh... pressures are a fickle thing.

As far as wear goes, if your suspension is set up pretty good, they will wear well depending on your throttle hand. I just happen to have some take offs in the garage, I will get ya a pic of mine. My bike is set up decently, and as long as I don't use and abuse the bike and tires, I have gotten 7 track day out of a set before the knocking the wear bars off but it still looks brand new in the center. lol If I flog the bike and get sloppy with the throttle, they seem to get all ate up within a few days at the track.

I rotate my takeoffs onto my street set of wheels for my r6. Because cups aint cheap... I have never had them slip on the street unless it's wet, track however is a different story. What compound you running? Perhaps your slipping is due to a hard compound and temperatures. imho, if your gunna run the hard compound, then you better have the pace to keep it hot or it gets slippy. They like warmers too. The softer compounds i found to be fine enough at mid pack I group pace and faster until you get to mid/top pack A group, then ya have to go to the harder compounds to keep the rear agreeable while deep trailing, they just get too hot and greasy feeling to me.

I will getcha that pic in the morning. :)

thanks for the post and pic...I run at an expert level...doesn't mean I'm fastest guy out their but hold my own....lol.k back to reality,using vb in front and generally b,have used used both have worked well.need to speed up the rebound on my rear shock a little due the leading edge on the slits are curling over...pressure wise using 32.5 to 33.5 hot in the front and 26-28 hot in the rear and yes I use warmers...I will post a pic of mine also...if it works.thanks for your input.lu.i was talking to a Michelin dist.in the eastern u.s.and they're telling me I should be using 31 cold front and 24-28 cold rear....hmmm.

Full disclosure;

06 R6

Stock front forks, stock rear shock

A (expert) group pace - 5th track day (2 of those days were in I group coaching and riding with friends)

Track: Mid-Ohio/Putnam Park

Front psi: 28.5

Rear psi: 23

A compound

When I come home from the track and unload the bike, they look like this when it's time for another.

14740p.jpg

After some street miles, they look like this.

9zykk1.jpg

lol! I am poor folk and a shoestring budget racer, I gotta get every lap outta possible my tires to make it work.

If yours don't look like this, keep chipping away at your setup and you will get there. :) It took me well over a year to dial in the bike on my own. So much time reading, learning and a friendly tip or two from other riders. Not to mention my fair share of mistakes along the way. -_-

The fine for riding with a worn out tyre here (less than 1.6 mm ) is high enough to pay for at least 2 new tyres. Provided you get caught, of course.

BTW, going to Michelins totally transformed the way my son's Honda 400 behave. For more grip than the D208. No, make that hugely more grip. Handling more neutral also, and they seem to last about 5 times as long. But those are completely different tyres to what you discuss here, so I'll just sneak out and leave the scene to youse again :)

The fine for riding with a worn out tyre here (less than 1.6 mm ) is high enough to pay for at least 2 new tyres. Provided you get caught, of course.

We may get that too, it's labeled as "improper equipment". Normally, the po po doesn't care as long as DOT is on the tire somewhere and the threads are not hanging out. But yea, the fine is large and in charge.

Sometimes we get one of those "know it all" officers that just looks at the tire and says... "that is a race slick and not street legal". We all just kinda roll our eyes, try to point it out... but if he insists, we take the ticket to the judge with proof and it's simply thrown out. Inconvenient yes, but cheaper than the fine.

how u guys uploading pics...trying to load a couple for you csmith.

It's pretty easy. Just upload your photos to an image hosting service. Grab the URL of the photo and then use the image icon in the editor and paste in the link.

@csmith: I would take a look at your suspension settings, with such a "lip" growing around the sipes. If I remember Dave Moss right, your rebound damping needs some changing.

@csmith: I would take a look at your suspension settings, with such a "lip" growing around the sipes. If I remember Dave Moss right, your rebound damping needs some changing.

What lip you talking about? I must be missing something.

I've added two arrows to your rear tyre picture to show the "lips" I think I'm seeing.

What's the rotational direction on that tyre? I guess the tyre would rotate upwards in the picture, so the "lips" are on the following edge of the tyre.

Did this make it any clearer to you?

post-15296-0-54763500-1404997490_thumb.jpg