2018 S1000RR Setup for Success

First, I'm sorry if this is a repeat question.

I am in the process of picking up a used 2018 S1000RR (premium pkg)and will be immediately converting to a track bike. Not my first track build, just my first BMW track build. So aside from the universal changes, are there any bike specific settings that I should consider changing?  ex. the eccentric shock mount  IIRC, the turn in and ability to hold a tighter line in some of the older models benefited significantly from such changes. Not sure if that holds true for 2018.

I've been riding with CSS about twice a year since 2011 so I'm no stranger to the bike and honestly have been pretty happy with the characteristics of the student bikes but would be interested in anything that would enhance the experience.

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hey! My apologies because I am not really helping with this....but what modifications did you make to allow the bike to hold a tighter line? 

I have not had any issues with tight lines on the 2017 S1000RR....but if there is a way to make it even better I would like to know!  Would you mind elaborating on the changes you made? 

As far as my experience with modifications: I have only upgraded tires once I wear them out and I update me as a rider with school attendance or reading/ practicing. So I am interested in how you made the S1000RR better! 

Hey Adam. IMO it all starts with the rider. If you haven't done CSS, get your butt out there. :) Regarding the original post; At the time of that posting, I hadn't made any changes. I was still trying to recall information from a conversation I had with one of the instructors a couple years back. Secondly, as the bike has changed a little over the years, I wasn't even sure that those changes were necessary anymore. I got a hold of Johnny at the school and was able to get the following clarification:

"The 2018 is very nimble, more so than previous models, the changes we make actually 'flatten' out the bike to improve braking stability, particularly when trailing, and line holding on heavy gas turn exits. This does slow down the steering a touch though, but my bike has been adjusted to the max and I have no issues with steering rate.

You are correct, we flip the eccentric and pull the forks down through the forks a few mm.

I would recommend doing just one change at a time and asses the difference. A couple of the coaches left their bikes with just the forks adjusted and are happy with them.

The eccentric only has 2 positions, no gradient of adjustment, but the forks can be adjusted any amount you choose until the cap is flush with the top yoke. Typically there are 2 preferred positions though; flush or cap showing. From the factory they have a couple of mm of fork stanchion showing above the yoke. 

I would also recommend a little pre-load both ends - maybe 1 ring on the front and 5 mm on the rear (10 full turns) be sure to have the ignition on if you adjust the rear.

Again, try one thing at a time and see if you like it."

My first day back on track is Labor Day so I will have the opportunity to test out the eccentric shock adjustment. Adjusting the fork height is a lot easier to do trackside so I will probably mess around with that throughout the day. Hope that's helpful.

Edited by Hotfoot
typo (yoke)
  • Like 1

Interesting! Thank you. I have not played around with the suspension on my 2017. I have been trusting the DDC to do it's thing and so far no complaints. And heck yeah I love attending the schools! I do about 1 or 2 per year. 

Thank you again and good luck on your first day back! 

• 2 weeks later...

Reporting back after a full day on track. Wow! Maybe it's all in my head (the power of suggestion) but by making a few of the adjustments, I found that braking later felt noticeably smoother, more controlled, and less distracting than before. I also found that the bike did in fact hold the line better on faster exits. Confidence levels were high!

The only issue I have found in trying to set up the suspension so far is that I can't quite get in the ideal "Rider Sag Range" with the OE springs. It's still off by about -4mm up front with the preload backed out. It clearly handled well regardless so I will have to decide if I want to make the swap in the off season or leave it as is.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/3/2018 at 9:09 PM, Jaybird180 said:

Most people put on a few lbs in the off season. If you’re the exception then a lighter spring may be in your future. Keep the OE set and as your ability goes up again, you might go back to them.

LOL.. somehow, I manage to avoid the issue of weight gain and maintain my girlish figure year round.