Remote Coaching

I noticed recently that it is becoming popular for riders to post videos of their track-day riding on social media and then ask others to critique it. I thought it was a good idea for someone looking for feedback to improve their skills, but it can also lead to a lot of bad advice. This got me wondering if CSS had ever considered doing a Remote Coaching-type service where riders can pay for video review and feedback from a CSS coach. I would think that there would be a huge demand for that, but I also know that the coaches keep pretty busy already with the school calendar.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking. In the meantime, I'll keep signing up for school dates! See you guys soon.

We do occasionally have riders post pictures or videos here and ask for feedback, which we do provide. We also have students who have been to school contact their coaches afterwards for some additional help via email or here on the forum. It is something we would do, on a limited basis, at no charge, for former students... but it is very difficult to do with people who HAVEN'T been to a CSS school because you end up spending loads of time trying to explain WHY something should be changed... info they would already have if they had been to a school. For a student who has already had the training, it can be just a reminder or a clarification, but for someone who hasn't had any of it, it can be a very lengthy process, not to mention potentially out of order - for example, trying to fix someone's suspension settings when they have poor throttle control is a waste of time. Or trying to fix body position for someone with no concept of lines, or who does not know how to steer the bike.

It can be difficult sometimes to diagnose things from video alone - having some discussion with the student is more effective, because we can figure out what the student did just BEFORE the visible error on the video, or what (potentially flawed) logic led them to do a certain thing so we can work through it and figure out a better solution. As you say above, just posting a video and asking for feedback can lead to a lot of bad advice, so while we are happy to help on here, I don't know that offering video review as an independent service would ultimately reflect well on the school since the results probably would not be comparable to what students would get from attending a school and getting in-person coaching. But that is just my opinion, maybe Cobie or Dylan will chime in with another viewpoint.

• Thanks 1

Good points Hotfoot.

Video can show some excellent things, but can also miss some things.  There are also many different angles/camera placements.  Interestingly enough, the one used at the school (arm over the shoulder) can be very instructive.  Another is a follow camera, but then it helps to have a qualified rider being the cameraman.  It actually can be very helpful for coach riding from behind to take the line he would normally, and show the difference between that and the student's line.

Video is an excellent aid, but not the whole picture, and as Hotfoot mentions, if the rider isn't well educated on the subject being critiqued, it's going to miss the mark.  

Best,

Cobie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1