Track Tires

I'm planing to attend CSS in 2004 and hopefully go to a few track days. It is time to replace my 3rd set of Michilin Pilot Sport's. I was hoping someone can give me some input about Dunlop 208 GP-A, ZR, and 207 RR. Can anyone tell me the characteristics of each/why would I choose one over the other? Also, the 208 gp only comes in a 180 rear. My bike has a 6" wheel I have been told that a 180 rear on a 6" actually turns in quicker. Is it safe to put a 180 on a wheel made for a 190? Any thoughts on tire width would also be appreciated. If it matters I ride an '01 cbr 929. Thanks

We need Will to get in on this, he's worked for Dunlop, knows more, but here is a little data:

The 208 gp's are made on the race tire assmebly line, it's basically a slick with treads. Ultimately more taction thatn the others. The ZR are production tires, not the same construction, and I think also the 207rr. We don't have many of them here, it was more in Europe. For fast guys, and extended track use, I think the 208gp is the way to go.

The 180 is made for a 6 inch rim, so you'll be fine with that (they have been using it for years).

Hope this helps a little and I'll nudge Will to check this thread.

Cobie

Hi,

Here in Europe we use the 207RR and find it to be a brilliant all round tyre that edges towards track use. The Instructors get 4 days out of a set riding all day.

A brilliant, underrated tyre.

Our Dunlop guy here doesn't recommend fitting a 180 where a 190 is the standard fitment as it doesn't help the bike to turn any quicker.

Andy Ibbott

School Director (Europe)

I'm planing to attend CSS in 2004 and hopefully go to a few track days. It is time to replace my 3rd set of Michilin Pilot Sport's. I was hoping someone can give me some input about Dunlop 208 GP-A, ZR, and 207 RR. Can anyone tell me the characteristics of each/why would I choose one over the other? Also, the 208 gp only comes in a 180 rear. My bike has a 6" wheel I have been told that a 180 rear on a 6" actually turns in quicker. Is it safe to put a 180 on a wheel made for a 190? Any thoughts on tire width would also be appreciated. If it matters I ride an '01 cbr 929. Thanks

Your first question about the 208s; The ZR is what Dunlop calls a joint less breaker, Same as a 0 degree belt. The cording is wound longitudinally around the tire with one continuous thread. This is very compliant to road irregularities and sharp edge bumps. The RR is the same as the ZR in construction but the RR has the 207 GP rubber and pattern.

the 208GP is a cut breaker meaning the cords are run at an angle across the tire. This is harsh by comparison on the street but very stable at lean.

The rubber used is also different. On the ZR it is meant to work at a lower temp and have good wet grip, on the RR GP the rubber is meant for traction and temperature.

The ZR is a great tire and for 95% of riders is the right choice. I recommend that If you are sliding a ZR step up to the RR or a GP. If not the ZR is a far better tire for most riders.

The tires are made to fit the wheels, not the other way. The 180 GP is for a 5.5" to 6.25" Wheel. It is true the bike will turn better with the 180 but don't expect much, you may not notice. I ran a 5.5" wheel on my ZX9R when I raced it because it felt better going through the turn than the 6" wheel did with the same tire.

Will

• 2 weeks later...

I cant get super technical about construction but I have ridden both the 207zr and rr on the track as well as commuting.

I purchased the 207zr because they were cheap, but right from the start I did not like the front tire, it just never felt right. I did one track day "willow big track" and I was surprised just how far you could push them. It was cold and had rained the day before. as for a street tire they last a long time but as I said the front always did its own thing.

The 207rr is suppose to be a zr carcass with the old 208 compound. as far as track tires go It held its own in terms of grip. The front appeared to have a different profile and seemed to turn a little faster than the zr. On the street they just wear out really fast.

I currently ride with the Dioblo's on my commuter and really like them alot.

For the track I am stuck on michilen's H series..

As for a 180 to replace the 190 I think the 180 turns faster.. I have heard the 190 called a bling bling sales tool.

But what do I know I am on of the slow guys ;)

Hey 15CR,

I have an H series 190 on my track bike and an H series 180 on my street bike. Don't know much about bling bling but I will say I am replacing the 180 with a 190 this spring. The 190 feels more planted on the track than the 180 does on the street.

Kevin Kane

But what do I know I am on of the slow guys ;)

I think if you checked out the ama pits you would find that an overwelming majority use the 180. As for the bling bling comment it was a quote out of one of the cycle mags. It stated the 190 tire was a sales tool used to sell bikes because they look cool. But If the 190 make's you feel more confident then it is the tire for you.

I just used one of the new superstock 17" slicks this last weekend and I loved it. It's a 195 and we put it on a 5.5" wheel. You just never know until you try.

I also heard a roomer that the new 208 race tire is coming as a 190.

Will

I use 208GPs on a track-only bike. On a street legal bike that gets track day use, I've been really impressed w/ the Metzler Sportec M1, and have ridden it hard (for me) w/ no slip in the front and very minor in rear. You do not want to use GPs on the street, but if its track only, as they say, good tires are cheap insurance.

• 1 month later...

If money is no object, go with the GPa's. I've run Gp's on the ZRX and they were great, even on the street to finish them up after a trackday. I now use the 207RR mostly because they hold about as good as the GP and cost allot less. The 207 seems to need a little heat in them to hold good. If any of you are running the Pilot or M-1 on the track, don't discount the 012SS. The M-1's and 012SS' can be bought for about $220 or less delivered, the 207RR for about $255 and the Diablo Corsa's for about $265. Allot depends on how fast you are. Personally I'd feel a little uncomfortable with a set of M-1's on the track. I have the extra weight to haul around and that's where the RR seems to take up the slack. One guy I know rides an R6 in an advanced group and runs the 012SS and it does well for him. I ran the 012Ss at Road Atlanta and it did well but slid a few times in turn 1 and 10b. Try them a set at a time and see what you like. Your the one that's riding the bike and only you can tell for sure. :D

• 1 month later...
I just used one of the new superstock 17" slicks this last weekend and I loved it. It's a 195 and we put it on a 5.5" wheel. You just never know until you try.

Will

Can you please tell me a bit more about this - I run a 180 rear on a GSXR600 K1 and am thinking about using a 190 or 195 (Dunlop) on this. Can you tell me what you experienced/found? I would guess there would be more grip at higher lean angle but anything else you experienced please? I would be very grateful if you'd get back to me...cheers

Will

Can you please tell me a bit more about this - I run a 180 rear on a GSXR600 K1 and am thinking about using a 190 or 195 (Dunlop) on this. Can you tell me what you experienced/found? I would guess there would be more grip at higher lean angle but anything else you experienced please? I would be very grateful if you'd get back to me...cheers

That really was all there was to it. I did find out that the 208 can be gotten in a 190 but the race tire service didn't want to put them on a 600 yet, a supply for the 1000's being more important right now.

I was the first to try the new slicks at Willow and from my experience with them a lot of others have put them on with the same results, no set-up change is needed to use them.

Will

we have just had the new 190 (or 195?) introduced over here in the UK ie " a new catalogue" has just come out. The tyre fitters track-side are wondering whether to fit them for use in the 600 class on safety grounds. The only problem is, if they won't, then the 600 class won't have a slick tyre as Dunlop, I believe, are withdrawing the 180!

I was "advised" that the ride height needed adjusting die to the slightly "larger" tyre - but you had no problems with this, right? Thanks for your comments...stu