Dunlop Q5....

Cobie Fair

There's a reddit discussion about the Q5 being a replacement for the Q4 to solve a wear issue.

The tire seems to be available at online vendors. I would think CSS could get them as a Dunlop vendor.

Roadracing World is calling it a track day tire.

The tire is listed on Dunlop's website.

And the marketing people have published a commercial about it:

That's all I got.

Reading through the marketing fluff Dunlop talks about the tire having increased contact patch over the Q4. From the contact patch curves they posted it looks like it has a larger contact patch when the tire is above a 35% lean angle.  Also looks like they are making them for a broader range of tire sizes.  Should be a fun tire.  Look forward to rolling with a set on track at some point.

Dylan and JJ ended up going to Buttonwillow racetrack yesterday, some kind of release on the Q5.  Both said the tire was good, real good.  More when I can get some specifics.

• Like 1

Link below is to an article about Dunlop's new Q5. It shares 11 "fast facts" about the new tire touching on profile, stiffness and compound improvements.  

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2022/11/15/dunlop-sportmax-q5-first-look-11-fast-facts-for-the-track/

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got a chance to ride on a set of Q5's the last 2 days of our Vegas schools.  Not a formal review of any kind, just got a chance to use a set of used ones from the track day at Buttonwillow (no information on how many laps and sessions they had on them).  Coaching requires paying attention to one's students, so not as much left over for the tire.  A few comments below:

1st thing I noticed on the cold morning (50 degrees?) was they felt like they turned in a little slowly (stone cold), but didn't feel like a slick (slicks are stiff, hard to turn in, and skimming the surface, feels sketchy and is, when really cold).  My next impression was I'd actually thought someone had made an adjustment to my suspension, the bike (going slow, before I even got them warm) felt like the suspension was moving less, more planted.  

Looking back, I'd wished I'd gone out and done some more hot laps, used a bit more lean angle, as fast as I went (with some pretty good students) there was still a little lean angle left available.  The tires did not dissapoint.  As fast as I was willing to go, they went, no sliding to speak of, felt planted the whole time.  I was very pleased with them.  They were pretty well used up after the 2 days, but I have no idea what wear/use they had gotten before I rode them.

• Like 1

Cobie, nice feedback on the Q5 tires. 

Question for you … will Q5s be the tire model CSS use on student school bikes in 2023? From what I have seen it is not clear to me as to whether or not Q3 and Q4s will be available in the future.  On Dunlop’s website I see Q5 and Q5S but no Q3 or Q4.

I think the answer is the 3+ and the 4 are gone.  Not yet sure on the 5 and 5S what the plan is there, I'll check in with Dylan.

On 12/9/2022 at 3:44 PM, Macguyver said:

Guys,

Great feedback on this tire.....I just ordered a Q5 front and waiting on the 200/60-17 rear to become available. I will be riding my personal 2022 S-1000 rr M package at the school this year....VIR, PA etc....

Thank you!

Mac

I received my new Q5 front yesterday.....great pattern...very "slick" like. I will mount it this week.......looks amazing. I am thinking the Q5s rear might be a good track day choice, but we shall see. I burned through Q4 rears last year. We are so lucky to have such amazing tires that are better than race tires 5-10 years ago!

Q5.JPG