Track Bike Cc

jps600rr

If a ninja 250 can run a measured lap of 1.40 at willow springs, and we can only use 10HP through

the coners why do we not learn cornering on a ninja 250, and then progress to a bigger bike to get down the

straights quicker, it seems that starting your cornering learning on a big bike is not so good, besides if you wad a ninja 250, it is cheap to fix. Did I miss something. we are not bike limited but rider limited.

Why does the SB school not use the ninja 250?

Thanks. James.

Hey James,

I agree with you that a 250 Ninja is a good place to begin. It might be a bit too small for larger folks, but, for cornering skill, it is an excellent trainer.

CSS used to offer the 250 Ninja as a school bike option. In fact, I rode a school 250 Ninja at Mid-Ohio and Watkins Glen myself.

Racer

I just purchased a Ninja 250, to improve my cornering skills, I did not like the idea of trying things on my CBR600rr, I have come to the conclusion that until I can push the 250 close to the limit there is not point

in trying it on a 600cc. I assme I can bring the Ninja250 to the school days.

The only thing I have noticed is that the suspension will need an upgrade.

I was also suprised to see the Ninja 250 can do 1.40 at willow.

It's also very suprising to me that there are a lot of street riders with 600cc, and 1000cc bike's who

think they were born with Doug Chandlers skill. When you tell people you are purchasing a Ninja 250

they cannot undestand if you have a reasonable skill level why you are not on a 1000cc super bike.

The level of knowlede out there is just so poor. it's sad.

Hey James,

That is a wise conclusion.

I do recommend upgrading the suspension before track day.

I think you saw the post re: sources like Muzzy.

Talk to the guy doing 1:40 @ Willow for more hints.

Your thoughts are the ones that count!

Good luck!

Racer

The one BIG problem with taking the 250 onto a track is that since you WILL be going slower on the straights, virtually everyone will pass you. That is all fine and dandy if they wouldn't park in the turn. What you'll find is that you will be held up in some turns by the people that had just passed you. Then when you get back on the straight, you'll watch them walk away from you, then you'll be back to them at the next set of turns. *sigh*

Now that probably sounds like I'm being all competitive, egotistical and stuff, but when you are paying for a school where you need to practice on track what was just taught in the class and someone is holding you up in the turn where you are trying to work on your skills, it gets very frustrating.

On a positive note, it REALLY is a lot of fun to out drive big bikes (like Aprillia 1000's B) ) through turns on Ninja 250's.

I've ridden a 250 at a track (Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw, SC) after doing Level 1 on a Suzuki Bandit. There is MUCH you can learn on a 250 at the track, BUT, I'd recommend you carry the 600. It sounds like you have a decent head on your shoulders and are truly interested more in learning to ride smart rather than just blindly grabbing a handful and hoping for the best. Your CBR was BUILT for the track and as much as I like the little 250's (I've got 2 of them), they just don't do as well. Your learning experience will be just as good, if not better, on the 600. EITHER BIKE WILL DO FINE, but I think the 600 would be the better weapon of choice.

Good luck!

I have taken the 250 out, and it is very stable through the corners, as i see it if you are pushing hard

through the conrners its only a matter of time before you go down, I dont want to wad the 600, or

but a set of shark skins, just yet.The 250 has a reputation as a very tuff little bike. Great for the track, or racing. I would not mind racing at the 250 level in the CCS.

James.

quote name='racer' date='Nov 16 2006, 07:56 PM' post='3665']

Hey James,

That is a wise conclusion.

I do recommend upgrading the suspension before track day.

I think you saw the post re: sources like Muzzy.

Talk to the guy doing 1:40 @ Willow for more hints.

Your thoughts are the ones that count!

Good luck!

Racer

The one BIG problem with taking the 250 onto a track is that since you WILL be going slower on the straights, virtually everyone will pass you. That is all fine and dandy if they wouldn't park in the turn. What you'll find is that you will be held up in some turns by the people that had just passed you. Then when you get back on the straight, you'll watch them walk away from you, then you'll be back to them at the next set of turns. *sigh*

Now that probably sounds like I'm being all competitive, egotistical and stuff, but when you are paying for a school where you need to practice on track what was just taught in the class and someone is holding you up in the turn where you are trying to work on your skills, it gets very frustrating.

On a positive note, it REALLY is a lot of fun to out drive big bikes (like Aprillia 1000's B) ) through turns on Ninja 250's.

I've ridden a 250 at a track (Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw, SC) after doing Level 1 on a Suzuki Bandit. There is MUCH you can learn on a 250 at the track, BUT, I'd recommend you carry the 600. It sounds like you have a decent head on your shoulders and are truly interested more in learning to ride smart rather than just blindly grabbing a handful and hoping for the best. Your CBR was BUILT for the track and as much as I like the little 250's (I've got 2 of them), they just don't do as well. Your learning experience will be just as good, if not better, on the 600. EITHER BIKE WILL DO FINE, but I think the 600 would be the better weapon of choice.

Good luck!

I agree. I just bought an SV650 which is also a great bike to learn cornering on. It only has about 70HP, but I was running on people's tire all of the time. My primary bike is a CBR1000 which I bought a couple of years before I even knew about track days. I love how with the SV I have to actually learn about momentum and drive and not just be handicapped by depending on HP to get my lap times down. Just like the 250, i do have to get the suspension upgraded.

Hey guys,

One thing to keep in mind is that at a proper practice day, or club race, bikes are separated into classes to begin with. It isn't always perfectly matched, and the different classes you or your bike will run in may vary from place to place, but, it isn't like you will be riding a Ninja 250 with 600's beyond the school.

The last time I raced against a bunch of SV650's they romped all over me and a grid of FZR400's. So, it's all relative guys.

In any case, frankly, learning how to back off and time your corner entry relative to slower cornering riders to complete a pass is a basic racetrack skill you will need to master no matter what bike or class or group you run with. You cannot avoid it by riding against similar powered machines. There will always be slower cornering riders to pass. Especially with a faster hopped up motor in your class to ruin your day and buzz back by you down a straight for free.

And those are some of my proudest wins. Beating a slow rider on a faster bike. Yeah baby! That's SKILL!

Slower cornering riders. Get used to it and learn how to handle it. It's a fact of life on track.

Cheers,

Racer

Actually, I too have a CBR1000RR and took it to a class back in August. Which was also my first track day. I was more worried about applying the lessons in the corners than ripping the straights and having to worry about how much I needed to slow down for the up coming turn, and in turn ZX6 riders would pass me and hold me up in the corners. It was fun figuring out how to pass them with momentum though. I would back off, like he said before, and gather some speed in the corner so I could pass them without having to take my bike out of 4th gear (at Mid-Ohio). But having someone slower than you in the corners can be a good thing cause it may force you to think around them and choose a different line to let you get a better drive out of the corner.

Man... it's not quite winter yet and I'm already craving the track again.