Opinion On New Zx10s And Zx6rs

hi everyone. im mike, i attended the december classes at infineon (im the guy who dumped it before turn 3 and trashed the bike)

i love the '06 model 636/6rr. i was thinking about getting the zx10 but i think im a little too throttle happy for a liter bike still. just curious of your thoughts on how the new ninjas compare to the old ones. im looking to get another bike pretty soon.

• 2 months later...
hi everyone. im mike, i attended the december classes at infineon (im the guy who dumped it before turn 3 and trashed the bike)

i love the '06 model 636/6rr. i was thinking about getting the zx10 but i think im a little too throttle happy for a liter bike still. just curious of your thoughts on how the new ninjas compare to the old ones. im looking to get another bike pretty soon.

I did I & II in Las Vegas two weeks ago. I could not believe how powerful those 600s were.

• 1 month later...

I did I & II in Las Vegas two weeks ago. I could not believe how powerful those 600s were.

I took on Barber Motorsports Park June 2 & 3 this year on my own bike, a '07 ZX10R. I am not FAST, but the Day 1 coaches had no problems passing me like I wasn't there on their ZX6s.

My Day 2 coach, Paul, happened to be riding a ZX10 himself. Of course, I asked his opinion about concerns and technique differences between the 6 and the 10. The first thing he said was that the 10 was a beast (already knew that, lol). He said that the 6s can carry a higher entry and corner speed but the 10 can make up for it on the exit/straightaways. Of course he said that the key is throttle control. The bigger bike needed more finesse on the throttle. Keith and Dylan both told us that one of the top reasons for going down in a turn was greedy on the gas. The 10 has gobs of power and I was constantly thinking about losing the back tire. He ended our discussion with the basic idea that the 10 was less forgiving of bad technique and mistakes.

Food for thought: The current Gen 2 ZX10s in their stock form are very powerful. I only used 2nd and 3rd gear over 2 days. Most of the time I stayed in 3rd where I was pushing 135+ on the long straight but still had enough gear/power that I didn't have to downshift for the hairpin!

Michael, after reading your post, I would suggest you go with a 600. A way more manageable bike for the track. So much of the ZX10 is not usable unless you have a big track with long straights. Had I known the power of todays 6R, I, myself, would have probably opted for one of them instead of the 10.

My .02

Jeff

I took on Barber Motorsports Park June 2 & 3 this year on my own bike, a '07 ZX10R. I am not FAST, but the Day 1 coaches had no problems passing me like I wasn't there on their ZX6s.

My Day 2 coach, Paul, happened to be riding a ZX10 himself. Of course, I asked his opinion about concerns and technique differences between the 6 and the 10. The first thing he said was that the 10 was a beast (already knew that, lol). He said that the 6s can carry a higher entry and corner speed but the 10 can make up for it on the exit/straightaways. Of course he said that the key is throttle control. The bigger bike needed more finesse on the throttle. Keith and Dylan both told us that one of the top reasons for going down in a turn was greedy on the gas. The 10 has gobs of power and I was constantly thinking about losing the back tire. He ended our discussion with the basic idea that the 10 was less forgiving of bad technique and mistakes.

Food for thought: The current Gen 2 ZX10s in their stock form are very powerful. I only used 2nd and 3rd gear over 2 days. Most of the time I stayed in 3rd where I was pushing 135+ on the long straight but still had enough gear/power that I didn't have to downshift for the hairpin!

Michael, after reading your post, I would suggest you go with a 600. A way more manageable bike for the track. So much of the ZX10 is not usable unless you have a big track with long straights. Had I known the power of todays 6R, I, myself, would have probably opted for one of them instead of the 10.

My .02

Jeff

The new ZX6 636 makes more power in stock trim than my totally tricked 1985 GPz750 superbike with crank/pistons/cams/valves/porting and pipe with a weight advantage of approximately 60 lbs to boot.

If you really want something that you have to fight with to keep the front wheel on the ground, sure, get the ZX10. Otherwise, IMHO, you can rest assured that you will not outgrow a 636 anytime soon.

My .02 cents.