Helmet Camera In School?

So I just got a helmet camera and I am wondering if I could bring it along in June. I would love to be able to grab a couple of videos that capture my progress over the weekend. Would this be allowed?

I think it would be cool to catch the first lap on Saturday, the last lap on saturday and then the last lap on Sunday. I wouldn't want the camera to interfere with class though.

Don’t know what the school’s policy on this might be … but I can tell you that your helmet cam might be a major distraction to your learning.

If you happen to be doing the 2 day camp, you’ll be riding the camera bike. That will give you, and your coach worlds of information on your faults, but also will show your assets as well as your progressive improvement.

Finally, remember that you are in a school invironment. You’ll want to give your riding full attention. I believe that a helmet cam might keep you from riding to your best abilities.

Just my .02. ymmv

Full disclosure: I’m just a mere corner worker, but a level IV rider-student with CSS.

I know from watching helmet cam videos that they don't tell much more then where the videographer's helmet is in relationship to the windscreen. The helmet cam can be tilted or straight up & down giving you no real indication of body position, throttle control, ground clearance, lean angle or any other criteria you might use to measure progress.

The School's video recording is set up in two different formats: The first is from a chase bike where one of the instructors follows a student for a lap or so shooting video from a static mounted recorder in the nose piece of the chase bike. The results are obvious and your coach and you can review how your cornering looked and what improvements you can make to corner better. There is a lot of information that can be gleaned from this format but IMHO, the second system is even more revealing.

The second is from a static mounted recorder that is positioned behind the rider. It is attached to a mast arm extending from the tailpiece and positioning the recorder above and behind the rider. The student does a lap (or two) with this recorder and from that vantage point your coach and you will be able to see much more. You can determine if you set up early and got off the seat, if you hit your turn points (they are visible in this window), if you get back on the throttle after turn in (yes, you can see your throttle hand), if you make mid corner corrections, if you maintian good body position...and on and on and on. Much more detailed analysis can be made of your riding from this second set up.

Absolutely none of that feedback is available from a helmet cam unless you're using it to video your buddies riding in front of you and I don't think that is allowed in this School (or any other for that matter).

Kevin

Full disclosure part deux: I’m just a rookie corner worker but a multi level IV rider-student with CSS.

Regarding using a camera:

It does need to not be distractive, that's the key. Some guys have had them, kept it low key and it's not interferred--in other words, they were there doing the traing.

Some others it has interferred, and we put an end to. Like if one guy goes out and films his buddies, then he's not doing the school program.

We do have video at some of our schools, like the 2-day camp, but it has a very tried and tested format, with skilled video reviewers, get's a great result.

Best,

Cobie

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to leave it at home. I can always attend a track day local to see how things are going. Actually, after the school I expect I'll attend track days regularly. :)

I've seen the videos from the camera bike (with the camera on a mast) - you really do see everything that is going on. Things like that and the other training aids CSS has developed are among the reasons I'm coming to school.

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to leave it at home. I can always attend a track day local to see how things are going. Actually, after the school I expect I'll attend track days regularly. :)

I've seen the videos from the camera bike (with the camera on a mast) - you really do see everything that is going on. Things like that and the other training aids CSS has developed are among the reasons I'm coming to school.

OK, sounds good. Let us know if we can help with anything, or you have any questions about the school.

Best,

Cobie