Mini Gp Racer

I am getting involved in mini gp racing here in the midwest. I've done some trackdays on my track only Aprilia RS50. Some of the tracks won't allow a Honda RS125 so some people have converted them to RS85's by changing the motor. Does anybody know how the quality of the suspension on a '98 Honda RS125 would compare with the equipment on one of the Metrakit racers like the XL80? The Metrakit racers cost about $5500 and I would guess that it would cost that much to convert a Honda RS125 into a 85cc racer. So if the Metrakit has good suspension, maybe it would just make more sense to buy the new bike rather than convert an older one.

I am getting involved in mini gp racing here in the midwest. I've done some trackdays on my track only Aprilia RS50. Some of the tracks won't allow a Honda RS125 so some people have converted them to RS85's by changing the motor. Does anybody know how the quality of the suspension on a '98 Honda RS125 would compare with the equipment on one of the Metrakit racers like the XL80? The Metrakit racers cost about $5500 and I would guess that it would cost that much to convert a Honda RS125 into a 85cc racer. So if the Metrakit has good suspension, maybe it would just make more sense to buy the new bike rather than convert an older one.

I don't. We have some guys racing the small bikes out here, including the webmaster's son (very, very fast).

Best thing will be to shoot a pm to cssadmin, he might know a bit more about this. Let me know if you don't get in touch with him.

Best,

Cobie

I tried sending him a message but so far, I haven't heard anything. I guess I will try to figure out where else these bikes are being used and see if I can talk to some people there. Thanks for the advice. I am enjoying this forum and I'm really looking forward to learning a lot in one of the schools later this year.

I sold my 94 RS125 to a guy in Oklahoma who was doing the same thing a few years ago. I believe he was sponsoring an entire series at that time. I've been trying to remember his name for several days with no luck. Perhaps an online search engine might provide some result.

I think there was a Japanese company...?Moriwaki?...that made an 80cc racer (MT80H?) as that class is big over there.

If you do start with an RS125, the 125cc engine makes a great shifter cart!

I keep hearing about the Metrakit here, maybe one of the mini-bike guys would chime in. I looked them up, not sure where they originate from...anyone?

CF