Question On Throttle Control

sleepr

My retired racebike (99 R6) had the idle turned up to about 3500 rpm. Back when I started riding on the track this was one of the tricks the local fast guys did to their bikes. After the Vegas school in Feb some dificiencies in my TC were discovered. I feel that perhaps having the idle turned up like this was hiding some of my errors, specifically leaving the throttle off for too long on corner entry. On my new bike (06 636) I plan to leave the idle stock to experiment whether I can improve my technique but I'm curious if any others have had idle turned up and what their experience has been.

Sleepr,

Actually that is a very good observation. Turning up the idle will definitely hide some of your errors. Leaving the idle as is (stock) will force you to concentrate on a smooth roll on and really make you "feel" any small changes, right or wrong. Proper throttle control is THE most important skill when riding a motorcycle. This includes noobies all the way to MotoGP riders. Top racers have surgeon like sensitivity when it comes to throttle control. It's a skill you should work on every time you ride a bike.

Or you could just cheat and buy a bike with throttle control. ;) (not really, there's still no substitute for good throttle control)

Jr

I actually was rereading soft science and found a reference to it after this post as an entry trick on page 107 in chapter IX. I think I'll leave it turned down for the time being.

I actually was rereading soft science and found a reference to it after this post as an entry trick on page 107 in chapter IX. I think I'll leave it turned down for the time being.

Ah, thanks, I thought it was in one of the books.

C

I also just just purchased a quick turn throttle so I hope this will be easier on the wrist.