New To Sport Bikes

Thanks for the great forum!! I have not seen any of the typical rubbish most forums host and I appreciate that.

After several Road and Off Road training courses in years past I have discovered Sport bikes and I am motivated to take my pavement riding to a new level. I never owned a sport bike until last month with the majority of my riding being dual sport with lots of off pavement time. I was motivated to learn sand, mud, and rocks but that is all done standing on the pegs. On pavement I knew something of upper body positioning for cornering (MSF courses) but that was all. Being a spectator at the Miller Motor Sports park WSBK races last May gave me motivation to get a sport bike. I got a bike last month so now the learning curve must start.

Consequently I have read and watched Keith's books and DVD several times since I received them a few weeks ago. I have also re-read Lee Parks book Total Control recently (I hope this is not taboo on this forum). I found the two sources really complement each other. The basic skills do not vary and Lee Parks even quotes Keith a few times but the approach to learning the skills is different. The more tools to use the better in my opinion. I especially liked Lee Parks section on visualization since I know this works for my learning style. I now sit and visualize myself approaching some known corners and curves in my mind and apply my hopefully new skills of body positioning (not just upper body as I did before), braking, downshifting properly, using the Two Step process, getting on the throttle much earlier, and then seeing myself exit the corner.

OF COURSE my next step will be school which is obviously why I am on this forum. It will be next summer before I will have the time since my next big motorcycle event is already booked later this year for a Mojave Desert and Death Valley ride.

Reading the posts and articles on this forum has also been very useful and I have PDF'd many of them to keep as reference.

Welcome to the forum! Once you get the road racing bug it can be hard to avoid buying a sportbike. And once you ride the track you will be seriously hooked. I took my first CSS class a few years ago to be a better street rider but I have found the track holds a whole new level of attraction!

Can we assume from your moniker that you bought an S1000RR?

Welcome to the forum! Once you get the road racing bug it can be hard to avoid buying a sportbike. And once you ride the track you will be seriously hooked. I took my first CSS class a few years ago to be a better street rider but I have found the track holds a whole new level of attraction!

Can we assume from your moniker that you bought an S1000RR?

Haha. yes an S1000. I was not really planning an S1000 but my BMW dealer would have nothing of that. I was looking at something with less ponies but the S1000 deal just worked out too easily. They let me demo the bike several months ago when I got back from the Miller races and showed some interest in a sport bike. That demo bike just happened to be available to buy last month. It had 690 miles and the run-in service and the recall service had been completed right at 600 miles. Good service dept and I have always trusted their work and it already had 90 miles since the recall was done with no problems. The other dealer I was working with was not even close and they did not even have what I wanted in stock.

post-23537-0-41235800-1345468188_thumb.jpg

post-23537-0-05606900-1345468193_thumb.jpg

"It's not actually about how much power you have, it's about how much power you can use." - Capt. Slow

This statement totally personifises my situation with this bike. I may need to borrow it from Capt Slow!!!

I just bought an S1000RR myself. I was going to go with a older 600 for the track but like you I lucked up into a deal and after having ridden one multiple times with CSS I just couldn't pass it up. It's more than I need but then again a sportbike is excessive by it's very nature so "go big or go home" :D .

And Captian Slow is the nick name of James May, one of the hosts of Top Gear (the original British version). When he said that he was speaking to the virtues of smaller cars with peppy engines and responsive handling but as someone who has been passed mid corner by a 150 it seemed incredibly apropos to motorcycle riding!

Welcome to the forum roamingbeemer. I always only hear good things about the S1000RR. You've already got some experience, so I wouldn't say there's too much cause for concern over having a litre bike. After all, it will only go as fast as you twist the throttle... And once you get out to the School I'm sure that things will just start to fall into place for you. (I know they did for me!)

I really enjoyed Total Control and picked up quite a few good points from that as well. I've mentioned that book on the forums here in the past, along with another favourite of mine that also really helped improve my riding to another level - The Upper Half of the Motorcycle by Bernt Spiegel. Definitely not taboo, at least no one has told me so! tongue.gif But really that's the great thing about forums - the different discussions that can develop.

Cya 'round the forums!

Edit: I just realised that I had already seen you around the forums and given a welcome, but happy 2nd welcome. biggrin.gif

Thanks for the 2nd welcome and the info. I joined earlier after I had the demo ride on the S thousand in June but I feel new since I just got my own bike. Looking forward to some coaching and good training.

Thanks Warregl for the origin of the quote. I watch the current British version of Top Gear frequently. Cathay Pacific always has several new episodes on demand which I always watch during my frequent flights to Hong Kong. I still love the Vietnam episode with the scooters up the coast.

Looking fwd to this new avenue of the 2 wheeled world.

• 2 months later...

I now have 1800 miles on my new S1000 and I love it. Just using the books and videos I have raised my riding to new levels for cornering. It has also improved my cornering on my BMW1200 greatly. No longer fearful of decreasing radius and I have much more control. Today I was in the middle of a corner and a DOT truck was pulling onto the road. I kept my cool and I did not tense my arms. Can not wait to take a class.

• 2 weeks later...

I now have 1800 miles on my new S1000 and I love it. Just using the books and videos I have raised my riding to new levels for cornering. It has also improved my cornering on my BMW1200 greatly. No longer fearful of decreasing radius and I have much more control. Today I was in the middle of a corner and a DOT truck was pulling onto the road. I kept my cool and I did not tense my arms. Can not wait to take a class.

The stuff from the books and DVD saved my bacon at least 5 times already.

once you figure out that a potential mistake is in the making, you can debug it on the fly .

if you are fast enough, you can totally avoid it .

Know your own abilities, know your bike and practice practice practice :)

PS. just got back from a 25KM mountain pass run. up down and level corners makes me think and sample/comile/update my solutions to different senario problems. I do that once a month at least (weather permitting)