Young Rider Query

Hi everyone,

I'm here to ask a question and having browsed the forum and seen the helpful and friendly advice being administered, I'm sure you'll be able to help!

I'm currently 19 years old and riding an old Yamaha YB100 (with an astonishing 8.6hp) daily but I am looking to pass my full test and progress. Unfortunately (and please correct me if I'm wrong!), the law states that even if I pass my full test, I'm limited to 33hp until my 21st birthday. If I were to pass my full test before my 21st birthday, would there be any point in me attending the school? I understand that it is not a track day and speed is not everything but I could understand there being some insurance issues or something like that.

The reason I ask is that I have a little bit of the common "cornering phobia". And I can put it down to one of three spills (and the only one that could be seen as my fault, promise!).

It was an icy morning and I was going down the same road I commute down every morning. It is never gritted and I had a few slips and slides which I had corrected by pure luck before. As I approached the corner, indicate, shoulder check, turn in, slam. It was only at around 10mph, as I was turning a right hand 90 degree turn but it damaged my jacket and my footpegs on my lovingly restored bike. I have never really recovered from that and fear leaning the bike as I always feel like it's going to slip out from under me again. It seems to take some of the fun out of riding for me.

The reason I come to tell my life story (sorry about the waffle) is that I saw a Cagiva Mito (125) on a roundabout I routinely use last Sunday. He had his knee down which though silly on a public 30mph road, really showed how much grip and lean angle could be obtained on the roads.

Sorry to waffle on, and thanks in advance!

Rufio

Hello Rufio,

I'm guessing you are in Europe, the UK? If so, I'll get one of the UK coaches to have a look, not familiar with your laws that well.

For sure the school can help with technique, but starting with Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist books will get you going in the right direction. You can access the UK school through our website: www.superbikeschool.com.

Best,

Cobie Fair

I'm currently 19 years old and riding an old Yamaha YB100 (with an astonishing 8.6hp) daily but I am looking to pass my full test and progress. Unfortunately (and please correct me if I'm wrong!), the law states that even if I pass my full test, I'm limited to 33hp until my 21st birthday. If I were to pass my full test before my 21st birthday, would there be any point in me attending the school? I understand that it is not a track day and speed is not everything but I could understand there being some insurance issues or something like that.

Hi,

You are correct with what the law says. As far as the school is concerned this would mean that you could only doa school at Silverstone Stowe circuit and it would have to be on a bike with 33bhp, sorry but we cannot allow you to use the YB100.

All the best

Andy Ibbott

School Director (Europe)

Hi,

You are correct with what the law says. As far as the school is concerned this would mean that you could only doa school at Silverstone Stowe circuit and it would have to be on a bike with 33bhp, sorry but we cannot allow you to use the YB100.

All the best

Andy Ibbott

School Director (Europe)

Hi Andy,

What do they do with racers that are under that age?

C

Hi Andy,

What do they do with racers that are under that age?

C

Pardon me for replying to the post you addressed to Andy, but, for what it is worth...

The under 21 British/Kiwi champ I tuned for in New Zealand rode a 600 in the World Supersport race at Brands Hatch a few weeks ago and has been racing a 600 "over there" for a couple of years now. I would guess that UK racing organization rules differ from the laws governing public roads and licensing. Unless of course he lied about his age and I just got him busted... :P

r

I thought so long as the bike was kept off public highways, you could race anything.

Also, Cal Crutchlow (BSB rider) was riding a GSX-R 600 at 16 in Junior Superstock I think.

Yeah, here in the US, racing is a different deal, and the regular laws, are not applicable, as it's not on public roads.

I'll see if we can get Andy in on this.

CF

The laws in the Uk differ quite a lot from other countries when it comes to riding on the track and on the road!

Track Riding/Track Days

You can start racing on track at the age of 12, but only at races. getting practice time outside of a race meeting is nearly impossible.

Once you have an ACU race licence you can attend the California Superbike Schools BUT only at Silvestone and Rockingham.

MSV, who run Brands, Oulton, Cadwel Park and Snetterton will not allow racers on normal tack days unless they also hold a FULL road motorcycle licence and you are over 18.

Road riding

You can start on the road at 16. You can ride a 50cc restricted bike or scooter.

At 17 you can move up to a 125, again restricted

At 18 you can get a restricted full licence that allows you to ride up to 600cc BUT restricted to 33BHP for 2 years MOST RACK DAY OPERATORS WILL NOT LET |YOU RIDE WITHA RESTRICTED LICENCE!

At 21 (if you have a full car licence) you can take a direct access course and when you pass you can ride anything you want.

Andy

thanks Andy, I had not idea is was that restrictive for track riding. You probably do know, but here, the track is on private land, really not an issue, one doesn't even need a motorcycle endorsement to ride a track (kids can't get them anyway).

C