Newbie Says Hi

hello all, my name is Nainoa and its pro nounced 9 oh ah. i have been riding for about 2 years all together not including off road. i commute 60 miles a day insunny southern cali. my first bike was a sv 650 s back in 2001 and i road it for about 7 months before selling it and taking the next 7 years off a bike except for 50s and my buddys backyard track. i also raced karts during this time. last april in 08 i bought a buell xb12xt and racked upmillage doing sixty miles a day 6 days a week and fell in love with riding again. two weeks ago i went out and bought a 09 1125 cr and want to form some really good techniques to riding the two very different style bikes i own as well as get rid of any bad ones i may have. thanks for reading my post and hope to get a chance to learn and meet some good people to ride with. again thanks Nainoa

Hi Nainoa,

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for the pronunciation help, I was stuggling with it until I read the rest of your note. Where does your name come from?

Sounds like you commute, so here's a questions--are there any types of riding situations that make you a little nervous or tense on the bike?

Best,

Cobie

Howdy.

thanks for greetings all well backin01 on the sv i mainly rode the freeway from vista ca to rancho cucamunga 5 days a week commuting to school and was 20 years old and thought i was cool so i rode like a idiot. i raced my kart at amago sports park off the 76 so a few times i would meet the kart and my coach and his family up at the track so i would take my bike up and run the roads and always felt as soon i tried to run any sort of "speed", i was in over my head so i stopped dong that. fast forward to last april and gas prices through the roof and a 40 commute each way from home to work, murrieta to oceanside and back.( i am a composite technician) i got the buell xb12xt with the thought of using my moto for saving gas and time. its a upright seating position with upright dirt bike style bars, kinda like a v-twin super moto heavy weight thingy with the option to runs hard cases or not depending of the need of the day. rode mainly back roads like the 0ld highway 395 to the 76 and back and focused on staying safe cause i have a familly now. noticed the more i rode the more and more i want to ride not only for commuting but possibly at the track cause i love motor sports. so two weeks ago i got the buell 1125cr(amazing bike) and want to be able to ride it knowing i have proper technique etc. etc. i have raced karts and rally cars so i have the basics of breaking points and turn in and the gammet of the track techniques for four wheels under my belt and try to take what i think would apply to a bike but never really let myself get to out of my comfort zone cause i can slide the ass end of a car no prob but im not ready on a bike. so things like grip levels and suspension settings on a bike are new to me.its crazy i live within a half an hour of some of the best rides in southern cali and want to enjoy them with good skill under the helmet. as for things on my commute that make me nervouse are car drivers on the cell phone not paying attention and other riders that think they have something to proove. as for me its not really know how much grip is really there and another is my cr has a slipper clutch and i ride it like it doesnt is that, good or bad? i keep a pretty cool head and ride very mellow now.i want to make sure that what im doing is what i should be doing on two wheels.so classes and track time on the cr is the direction im heading. and riding within the law every day and from work is what im doing. if i need to save time ill take the 15 south in the mornings but for the most part in the evenings im taking back roads to get the most out of my rides and good even tire wear. thanks Nainoa by the way cant figure out how to make it paragraph form sorry

Hi Nainoa,

You've got a good approach overall, makes sense. Level 1 and Level 2 of the school would be right on the money for you, with the things you want to do and improve on. We don't have any more schools in SoCal this year, just Laguna, Vegas, and Sears Pt. If it doesn't work out to get to one of those, then the best thing will be the Twist of the Wrist books.

Twist 1 and 2 are totally different, both excellent, and covering different subjects. There is a DVD on Twist 1 also, and a DVD is being edited for Twist 2, but not done yet.

Keith's books are excellent, clearly written and illustrated, and can be taken a piece at a time.

If you already have them, I'll shut up. :)

They will also prepare you nicely for coming to the schools, give you a ncie head start.

Let us know if we can help with anything or you have any questions at all.

Best,

Cobie

• 3 months later...
Hi Nainoa,

You've got a good approach overall, makes sense. Level 1 and Level 2 of the school would be right on the money for you, with the things you want to do and improve on. We don't have any more schools in SoCal this year, just Laguna, Vegas, and Sears Pt. If it doesn't work out to get to one of those, then the best thing will be the Twist of the Wrist books.

Twist 1 and 2 are totally different, both excellent, and covering different subjects. There is a DVD on Twist 1 also, and a DVD is being edited for Twist 2, but not done yet.

Keith's books are excellent, clearly written and illustrated, and can be taken a piece at a time.

If you already have them, I'll shut up. :)

They will also prepare you nicely for coming to the schools, give you a ncie head start.

Let us know if we can help with anything or you have any questions at all.

Best,

Cobie

i got twist of the wrist 2 a week ago and have made it half way through and i cant put it down.

it amazes me how SR's come natrally and what you are supposed to do seems so unnatural until you apply it while riding.

well i did and it made me smile. iread the book everynight and it finally stopped raining in so cal so i took the Cr to work and they repaved elfin forrest road. its like butter but sticky!

im all about throtttle control right now. not rolling off the gas in turns when i thought i needed to change my line made my 1125 cr so much less twitchy now it just rails corners when i keep that 40/60 thing going. just so much good technology and applying it feels so good.

thanks for the help and im now saving up for the 2 day camp unless i can muster up some sponsers :D

thanks again!

Nainoa

i got twist of the wrist 2 a week ago and have made it half way through and i cant put it down.

it amazes me how SR's come natrally and what you are supposed to do seems so unnatural until you apply it while riding.

well i did and it made me smile. iread the book everynight and it finally stopped raining in so cal so i took the Cr to work and they repaved elfin forrest road. its like butter but sticky!

im all about throtttle control right now. not rolling off the gas in turns when i thought i needed to change my line made my 1125 cr so much less twitchy now it just rails corners when i keep that 40/60 thing going. just so much good technology and applying it feels so good.

thanks for the help and im now saving up for the 2 day camp unless i can muster up some sponsers :D

thanks again!

Nainoa

That is just excellent! Sometimes "what feels natural" isn't the correct way to do it is it? Throttle control, that's a big skill, worth working on.

Let us know when you come out to a school for sure.

Best,

Cobie