Knee Braces

racer

Many riders I know need to wear a knee brace (or two). It happens that I have an order for two sets of top flight, sized to order, professional level carbon fiber Asterisk knee braces on hold because I need a third pair to qualify for dealer pricing. I can offer one pair at dealer cost + 10% to anyone who might be interested in one (or two) braces. Anyone who might be interested can PM me for more information. I don't mean to use the school website for advertising; but, this is a one-time, limited opportunity that pertains to riding and might be helpful to our members here, so, let me know ASAP if you are interested.

If you are not familiar with Asterisk protection systems, you can check them out here: www.asterisk.com

Many riders I know need to wear a knee brace (or two). It happens that I have an order for two sets of top flight, sized to order, professional level carbon fiber Asterisk knee braces on hold because I need a third pair to qualify for dealer pricing. I can offer one pair at dealer cost + 10% to anyone who might be interested in one (or two) braces. Anyone who might be interested can PM me for more information. I don't mean to use the school website for advertising; but, this is a one-time, limited opportunity that pertains to riding and might be helpful to our members here, so, let me know ASAP if you are interested.

If you are not familiar with Asterisk protection systems, you can check them out here: www.asterisk.com

Is this for motoX?

Yes, Jay, many MX riders/racers wear knee braces as part of their standard riding safety gear. The Asterisk website lists some of the riders, and other sports/competitors, that they sponsor.

We carry several brands at the dealership; but, due to the expense, and our overhead budget, we only stock basic amateur level equipment, like Thor Knee Guards, for our showroom. That isn't to say the product Thor sells is inferior; but, for starters, they are mass-produced and only come in two adult sizes S/M or L/XL. On the other hand, upper level braces offer more size options or, at the top level, are semi/fully-custom fitted and hand-made to order.

If you go to the Parts Unlimited or Tucker-Rocky websites, I believe you can find several brands of both amateur and pro-level sports/medical braces that they distribute. Or, you can simply Google "knee braces" and find all sorts of options starting under $100 (like Thor) all the way up to $1000 or more for custom fitted, hand-made to order braces. The Asterisk Cell Protection System falls toward the upper half of the pricing spectrum retailing for $599 USD. But, they offer precision fitment, carbon fiber construction and other features commonly found only on more expensive equipment. (Our dealer price would be about $425 + shipping.)

Road racers also wear knee braces; but, it is probably fair to say that more MX riders use them as a normal matter of course, so to speak.

In other words, most MX riders/racers wear knee braces as part of their standard safety gear, for extra support and as a preventative measure against injury due to the sorts of impacts they endure on typical MX obstacles, ie. jumps, whoops, washboards, etc. Whereas, most road racers I know who wear knee braces do so because they have an injury or a "bum" knee that requires extra support.

racer

PS - The Asterisk braces are also available individually, ie. it is not necessary to buy a pair if you only need one.

Yes, Jay, many MX riders/racers use knee braces as part of their standard riding gear. The Asterisk website lists some of the riders and other competitors that they sponsor.

We carry several brands at the dealership; but, due to the expense and our overhead budget, we only stock basic amateur level equipment, like Thor, for our showroom. That isn't to say the product Thor sells is inferior, but, they only come in two adult sizes S/M or L/XL and compared to pro-level sports/medical braces, they aren't in the same category. If you go to the Parts Unlimited or Tucker-Rocky websites, I believe you can find several brands of both amateur and pro-level sports/medical braces that they distribute.

Road racers also wear knee braces; but, it is probably fair to say that many more MX riders use them as a normal matter of course, so to speak.

In other words, most MX riders/racers use knee braces as part of their standard safety gear as a preventative measure against injury due to the sort of impacts they endure on typical MX obstacles, ie. jumps, whoops, washboards, etc. Whereas, most road racers I know who use knee braces do so because they have an injury or a "bum" knee that requires extra support.

racer

PS - The Asterisk braces are also available individually, ie. it is not necessary to buy a pair if you only need one.

Thanks for the explanation, cause there's no way you can get me to add another 1.6lbs of unneeded sprung weight (LOL).

Thanks for the explanation, cause there's no way you can get me to add another 1.6lbs of unneeded sprung weight (LOL).

I'd known the dirt bike guys to use them, but hadn't seen many (if any?) road racers with them.

... most road racers I know who wear knee braces do so because they have an injury or a "bum" knee that requires extra support.

racer

Penguin Roadracing School Head Instructor, Eric Wood (son of Penguin School owner/racer Jerry Wood and brother of AMA rider Jeff Wood) wore a knee brace when riding his Kawasaki EX500 when we raced together in the LRRS CCS Lightweight classes back in the early 1990's because he had injured his knee in a crash and needed the extra support and preferred the extra protection it afforded him. I don't know if he still wears it today when racing his Hooters HELPMERIDE.COM Suzuki GSXR1000 AMA Superbike or his Team Pongo/NCR AMA Formula Extreme Ducati 848.

I also saw Team Promotion Racing School coach, Chuck Graulty, wear one while riding at Beaver Run this year, as well. Of course, he too was recovering from an early season get off in Turn 5 there.

Hey guys,

Winter is coming on fast here. Business has been VERY slow at the shop and the boss told me to apply for unemployment today, so, anyone interested in braces... or anything else... I can offer major discounts on any factory Kawasaki or Honda OEM parts, as well as any aftermarket parts and accessories you may want... helmets, jackets, tires, pipes, etc, etc to close out the season. I'll beat any deal you can find elsewhere if I can. I'm assuming I'm going to finish out this week and maybe next week if I am lucky, otherwise, I'll see ya at the parts counter next April. Assuming I don't find a better job by then. (I'm not the kind of guy who can sit around collecting unemployment and watching TV or whatever. I'll go crazy!)

racer