Head Gasket Seal Question.

This question doesn't fit specifically into this category, but this is about as close as it gets. I have a small head gasket seal leak, and have to wait for the part to come in. The mechanics said it would be fine to do a trackday, but I'm concerned about getting oil on the rear tire, running out of oil, damaging something, or getting oil on the track. I still have pressure, and the bike works great, but I'm not sure how good the advice is. Can anyone say whether putting the bike on the track would be OK? I don't really commute in the RPM range I would be in.

This question doesn't fit specifically into this category, but this is about as close as it gets. I have a small head gasket seal leak, and have to wait for the part to come in. The mechanics said it would be fine to do a trackday, but I'm concerned about getting oil on the rear tire, running out of oil, damaging something, or getting oil on the track. I still have pressure, and the bike works great, but I'm not sure how good the advice is. Can anyone say whether putting the bike on the track would be OK? I don't really commute in the RPM range I would be in.

Is the thing just seeping a little bit, or is it really coming out? My old Honda seeped a little, it was no big deal. Let me know what you can (bike and model, how much is coming out and what kind of riding you have done with it to get that leakage), I'll see if I can get a hold of Will.

CF

Is the thing just seeping a little bit, or is it really coming out? My old Honda seeped a little, it was no big deal. Let me know what you can (bike and model, how much is coming out and what kind of riding you have done with it to get that leakage), I'll see if I can get a hold of Will.

CF

I'm on an '05 ZX6R, 13000 miles, I usually commute with the occasional trip to high RPM land, and on trackdays (did about 10 trackdays this year) stay in the way up there range. It leaked enough to make the bike smell, but not smoke. It seeps out onto the fairing and leaves a trail about 12 inches after a day of riding. The more seasoned riders say about he same thing. I just seems like a lot of oil after normal riding. My friend who races say's his is leaking, and he'll fix it after the season. I'm starting to think it's not that bad for one day, but I've figured I'm not going to risk it.

I'm getting it fixed when the part comes in. I'm just worried about what would happen if I got the RPM's back up. I'm riding my wife's bike while I'm waiting for the part to come in. Thanks anyway Cobie.

So I took the bike apart (the pieces I can get back on) and think it's been going on for some time. There are certain areas that have coats of oil. I'm guessing that until the leak gets too big that a leak where this one is isn't really a major deal. I was just concerned that it was something that too much pressure on the engine would knock something loose and cause all the oil to flow out. I'm still going to get it fixed when the part comes in, but it's a lesson that I need to know more about the bike than I do about my car.

One danger of a head gasket leak is coolant from the water jacket getting into the oil galleys or leaking into combustion chamber and past the rings, to mix with the motor oil. When it reaches your main bearings, it will cause the crank to seize and probably break a con-rod wrecking the motor. If coolant is mixing with your oil, the oil will turn frothy and look like a milkshake. You can see it on your dipstick in your car or maybe in the sight glass on a motorcycle. In any case, a leaking head gasket can cause a loss of compression and power. Bottom line, a head gasket leak is nothing to fool around with or something you should ignore. If the motor seizes at speed, you could crash. Or, you could end up putting a con-rod through the oil pan and oiling the track. So, without seeing how bad it is first-hand, I would say you were given bad advice to go ahead and ride the bike on track.

I'm on an '05 ZX6R, 13000 miles, I usually commute with the occasional trip to high RPM land, and on trackdays (did about 10 trackdays this year) stay in the way up there range. It leaked enough to make the bike smell, but not smoke. It seeps out onto the fairing and leaves a trail about 12 inches after a day of riding. The more seasoned riders say about he same thing. I just seems like a lot of oil after normal riding. My friend who races say's his is leaking, and he'll fix it after the season. I'm starting to think it's not that bad for one day, but I've figured I'm not going to risk it.

I'm getting it fixed when the part comes in. I'm just worried about what would happen if I got the RPM's back up. I'm riding my wife's bike while I'm waiting for the part to come in. Thanks anyway Cobie.

Got it, sounds wise. Will's not in, but I'm going to shoot him a note (forgot to last time, don't hate me).

Best,

C