Stretching Before Riding

vio

I am interested to hear what sort of stretching you guys do before a race/track day.

Hey Vio;

First off, Welcome to the Forum.

You question couldn't be more timely as I just finished (2 hours ago) the School's 2-Day Camp at Laguna Seca. On day one I didn't stretch at all and found the day went well. This moring we had an extra few minutes before session one so almost all of us dismounted and began to do some form of stetching. I did the Rossi crouch, the side extended leg stretch, the broken at the waist and grab your boots stretch and a few others and somewhere in this little exercise regime, I reinjured a lower back problem that I have had for years. Needless to say, I was very uncomfortable for the first three sessions or so.

Doubt I will ever stretch before another track event - ever. YRMV.

Kevin

Something very important about stretching is that you must warm your muscles up before hand to avoid injury, when you see racers from moto gp or superblike riders stretching on the starting grid, alot of them have warmed up in their motor homes using stationery cycles, treadmills or stepper machines that they use to get their heart rate up before a race, it is also important to remember not to over stretch, you only want to loosen up the muscles, not perform a full flexibility training session at the side of the track!

Something very important about stretching is that you must warm your muscles up before hand to avoid injury, when you see racers from moto gp or superblike riders stretching on the starting grid, alot of them have warmed up in their motor homes using stationery cycles, treadmills or stepper machines that they use to get their heart rate up before a race, it is also important to remember not to over stretch, you only want to loosen up the muscles, not perform a full flexibility training session at the side of the track!

Excellent response Bobby and a more appropriate description of "the proper way" to do this. My lower back pain did come from stretching cold muscles and you did all of us a favor by correcting my seat of the pants (literally) response. Thanks...I needed that. ; )

Kevin

Hi,

What's the recommendation for those of us who didn't bring our rv's with a machine in it ;) ? I just bought a pair of boots and they do not seem like they are the ideal running shoes, for warming up before strecthing. Thanks.

Hi,

What's the recommendation for those of us who didn't bring our rv's with a machine in it ;) ? I just bought a pair of boots and they do not seem like they are the ideal running shoes, for warming up before strecthing. Thanks.

I think I stretch my shoulder when I put my hand in my pocket to get my key.

Hi,

lol :lol: you could always try star jumps!

Uh, what's a "star jump"? Jump for the stars, jump till you see stars, jump/attack a star (guess that's a Hollywood thing).

CF

Uh, what's a "star jump"? Jump for the stars, jump till you see stars, jump/attack a star (guess that's a Hollywood thing).

CF

lol I guess maybe they could be called jumping jacks too! :lol:

Hi,

:lol: you count the cadence, I count the repetitions!!