Questions Regarding Bringing Your Own Bike

I'm thinking about signing up lvl 3 and 4 at Streets on 6/13 and 6/14 and to bring my own bike. Other than taping up the lights, disconnecting the electric stuff, what other things should i look for? Some questions I have are:

1) Do I have to bring my own gas?

2) Should I use my street tires for those two days? I have rougly less than 3000 miles for front and rear (bt-016)

Sorry if this have been asked.

Thanks.

Hey Stephen,

Yes you're responsible for your own gas if you bring your own bike.. As long as your tires have very good tread depth you will be fine with street tires. Not sure that will be so on tires that have 3K+ miles on them. The school does offer a great discount on Dunlop tires for their students (Qualifiers, Sportmax GP's and even slicks). If you are interested in those you should call ahead to make arrangements.

-Ron.

No problem Stephen.

Will, the head mechanic for the school, or his helper for the day will mount and balance your new tires. Not sure if there is a fee involved or whether you are responsible for getting the wheels on/off the bike.

-r.

Hey Stephen,

I will be in the Level 3 class on 6/13, riding a '08 CBR 1000. If you get signed up I'll see you there. What kind of bike do you ride?

I'm no expert, but I would personally put some newer tires on if you have +/- 3,000 miles on them.

The last two times, I taped up the headlights and removed the plug to them so they don't turn on and make some goo from the tape heating up. I tape off the brake light and unplug it.

I remove the mirrors, and rear blinkers/license plate.

That's it.

No problem Stephen.

Will, the head mechanic for the school, or his helper for the day will mount and balance your new tires. Not sure if there is a fee involved or whether you are responsible for getting the wheels on/off the bike.

-r.

Always best if he knows about it in advance. If you want tires mounted and done, I think he charges $20 per tire.

C

I'm thinking about signing up lvl 3 and 4 at Streets on 6/13 and 6/14 and to bring my own bike. Other than taping up the lights, disconnecting the electric stuff, what other things should i look for? Some questions I have are:

2) Should I use my street tires for those two days? I have rougly less than 3000 miles for front and rear (bt-016)

Thanks.

Although I don't have experience with that brand of tire, if they're 3k street miles, I'd ride on them w/o any qualms whatsoever.

Thanks.

Although I don't have experience with that brand of tire, if they're 3k street miles, I'd ride on them w/o any qualms whatsoever.

Most cases won't be a problem. But, there is a big difference in how some people ride. Some riders are pretty aggressive on the tires, some only lean to a certain angle, and they tires can take a "set" to them. If registered for the school, you have the option to take advantage of the student-only tire deal, pretty good price on tires.

Thanks.

Most cases won't be a problem. But, there is a big difference in how some people ride. Some riders are pretty aggressive on the tires, some only lean to a certain angle, and they tires can take a "set" to them. If registered for the school, you have the option to take advantage of the student-only tire deal, pretty good price on tires.

Thanks everyone for their replies. I signed up 6/13 and 6/14 for the level 3 and 4 using the kawis. As much as I want to use my own bike, I figured I'll have to rent a trailer, bring gas, and so on. Sounds a lot of trouble and I'm pretty much going alone. So maybe next time when I retake some of the levels, I'll use my own bike.

DMX: I also have a honda but a 07 600RR. I'll c ya there!

Cobie: Is the 20 dollar fee including putting the tire back to the bike or do I have to do that myself?

Thanks everyone for their replies. I signed up 6/13 and 6/14 for the level 3 and 4 using the kawis. As much as I want to use my own bike, I figured I'll have to rent a trailer, bring gas, and so on. Sounds a lot of trouble and I'm pretty much going alone. So maybe next time when I retake some of the levels, I'll use my own bike.

Cobie: Is the 20 dollar fee including putting the tire back to the bike or do I have to do that myself?

He'll do it all for 20 per wheel. Best to let him know in advance though, just to make sure its done in time for your first ride. Normally the Level 3-4 guys ride first, so its best to let us know before (hopefully I'm not sounding like broken record!).

Come say hello when you come up!

Best,

CF

He'll do it all for 20 per wheel. Best to let him know in advance though, just to make sure its done in time for your first ride. Normally the Level 3-4 guys ride first, so its best to let us know before (hopefully I'm not sounding like broken record!).

Come say hello when you come up!

Best,

CF

Got it Cobie. Thanks for clarifying. For this time though, I'll be using the kawis. C ya in June!

If we bring our own bike, what are the requirements to pass tech? Do we need water instead of regular coolant? Does running water with water wetter reduce any corrosion resistance in the cooling system/engine block? (besides track days, all the time/street use too)

Thinking of coming back for Levels 3 and 4 in August at NJMP, after I get some riding in this season and maybe some track days to brush up on my Levels 1 and 2 drills on my own. Would love to train on my bike (05 R6) as thats what I will ride on all the time, but worried about damaging it...

Thanks!

Imran

If we bring our own bike, what are the requirements to pass tech? Do we need water instead of regular coolant? Does running water with water wetter reduce any corrosion resistance in the cooling system/engine block? (besides track days, all the time/street use too)

Thinking of coming back for Levels 3 and 4 in August at NJMP, after I get some riding in this season and maybe some track days to brush up on my Levels 1 and 2 drills on my own. Would love to train on my bike (05 R6) as thats what I will ride on all the time, but worried about damaging it...

Thanks!

Imran

Hi Imran,

You don't have to do anything to your bike. We found we didn't have much in the way of coolant issues, so no longer require that it be removed. Water Wetter works fine, cools very well, I don't think there are corrosion issues, but it has no anti-freeze properties, so if you live in below freezing areas...take it out or keep the bike warm :)

Ridng your or our bike: yeah, that can be an issue, sometimes riders are just too worried about what could happen to their bike, and that doesn't make for as good a riding day. The cost is another issue (most know what body work costs these days, I won't cover that). One other point can be, if anything brakes or goes wrong with your own bike, you are out of luck--even if it just falls over in the pits, brakes a lever (it's happened). With our bikes, there are no issues, we've got spares and a pro. But of course you are getting a 100% biased view here :)

CF

No pumps on the track, sorry John.

So, what will happen if I ran out of fuel?

Is there at least a gas station close by?

I live in Raleigh. It is about 60 miles away from VIR. I will be riding my bike, and my fuel tank is good for about 110 miles.

Originally, I was planning to use the school bike, but I got a misshape last month, and I scratched my fairings. So, I thought to use my bike, because it is already has some damage.

Thanks

I live in Raleigh. It is about 60 miles away from VIR. I will be riding my bike, and my fuel tank is good for about 110 miles.

Originally, I was planning to use the school bike, but I got a misshape last month, and I scratched my fairings. So, I thought to use my bike, because it is already has some damage.

Thanks

John,

There is a fuel pump there at the track, and I think it is on when we are there.

What is your bike?

CF

Thanks

John,

There is a fuel pump there at the track, and I think it is on when we are there.

What is your bike?

CF

Good to know that I won't be stranded their without fuel... :)

I have an 07 Ducati 800ss

Good to know that I won't be stranded their without fuel... :)

I have an 07 Ducati 800ss

There are pluses and minuses of using your or our bike. Some guys just never feel comfortable on their own bikes, pushing them that hard. Also, any mechanical problems (we've had a few, and with the Ducs too), and the guy is out of luck. Add tire wear, bringing the bike to the track...it can add up. But, sometimes, just nice to ride your own, I know that too.

CF