Outside Leg

Hi all,

Watching the World Supersport race this weekend I saw Anthony West "wave" is right leg as an apology to Cal Crutchlow on the way out of a left hander. He was still leant over a long way at the time. He can't be locking his leg into the tank if he can do that so how is he holding himself on the bike? After seeing that I noticed that Ben Spies and many others were not locking their outside legs into the bike at all. Any ideas?

Hi all,

Watching the World Supersport race this weekend I saw Anthony West "wave" is right leg as an apology to Cal Crutchlow on the way out of a left hander. He was still leant over a long way at the time. He can't be locking his leg into the tank if he can do that so how is he holding himself on the bike? After seeing that I noticed that Ben Spies and many others were not locking their outside legs into the bike at all. Any ideas?

What's left to hold on with? If he's not locking his knee into the tank, what is left?

C

All I can think of is his arms but all the advice I've heard tells me thats wrong. He's at the front of World Supersports races though and that Spies fella isn't bad either???

Holding on to the bars is wrong! Not holding on with your arms! Getting your forearm on the tank can make a good point of securing onto a bike! There are many pivot points you can lock onto and racers are naturally good at finding these points.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/ben%20s...ck/BenSpies.jpg

He doesn't seem to be holding on at all???

I must be looking at this in the wrong way somehow.

Good point Mike!

In that picture it looks like he is locked on with his boot pressed into the bike and possibly his inner thigh on the tank! The question is, could he hold that position if he let go of the bars?

http://media.photobucket.com/image/ben%20s...ck/BenSpies.jpg

He doesn't seem to be holding on at all???

I must be looking at this in the wrong way somehow.

Good point Mike!

In that picture it looks like he is locked on with his boot pressed into the bike and possibly his inner thigh on the tank! The question is, could he hold that position if he let go of the bars?

Some have figured out how to hold on to the bike, and keep off the bars. His arms look like they are hanging decently, not up too high, or at an odd angle. One of the guys who has had his leg way out was Ruben Xaus, he was really obvious. Anyone else riding like Ruben these days?

CF