Where To Begin At First Trackday?

I have done L1&2 and have NO trackday experience. That being said, I've learned alot at the school... so much that I really have no clue where to start?? What is the NO.1 skill/drill should I start with? TC?...Read the track?...RP?...should I work on a multitude of drills at once or stick to a specific drill til I nail it?? At this point I'm not all that interested in speed, I'd rather concentrate on proper techniques...Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

BCNU

I have done L1&2 and have NO trackday experience. That being said, I've learned alot at the school... so much that I really have no clue where to start?? What is the NO.1 skill/drill should I start with? TC?...Read the track?...RP?...should I work on a multitude of drills at once or stick to a specific drill til I nail it?? At this point I'm not all that interested in speed, I'd rather concentrate on proper techniques...Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

BCNU

Hi BC,

How about just doing one thing at a time, as the major focus? If you are going to a new track, getting to know it and its turn/parts is where many start, that could be step 1.

CF

Thanks,

BCNU

Hi BC,

How about just doing one thing at a time, as the major focus? If you are going to a new track, getting to know it and its turn/parts is where many start, that could be step 1.

CF

Thanks,

BCNU

Hi BC,

CF

Got it...1.Get to know the track. Thanks C

Also a friend suggested that I also work on the no breaks drill for a better part of the day. Is that something that I should also work on? I really appreciate your opinion, thanks again!

BCNU

Thanks,

BCNU

Hi BC,

CF

Also a friend suggested that I also work on the no breaks drill for a better part of the day. Is that something that I should also work on? I really appreciate your opinion, thanks again!

BCNU

Sorry, meant to reply sooner but have been on the road. Since I'm in the same situation, I guess I'll take a chance at a reasonable response. I generally try to address which ever technique I seem to be having the most trouble with on the ride. If I'm not loose, I concentrate on that, etc. What I need to focus on often changes throughout the ride. I think it also depends on where you're riding, traffic, etc. Of course, everyone learns differently and, I won't really know if this has worked for me until tomorrow...

Thanks,

BCNU

Hi BC,

CF

BCNU

Hey BCNU

I am kind of in your situation too..although have done some trackdays...finshed the CSS lvls...and I think what Cobie says is best...kind of like at CSS...just work on one thing at a time. You seem to have a pretty good sense too of what is important.

Working on getting to know the track is key...and can take the whole 1st track day or more...I use the vision drills (three step) this seems to help me ALOT..in fact no matter what..I always seem to be working on that..MY last CSS school was at Streets and I was having an bummer of a time with the track...coach just had me backstep and use the vision drills for a bit and it worked great...

Most clubs at trackdays have several orientation laps for the beginners..and they usually set up markers so you can pick up your turn in point, apex and out point..makes it relatively easy pick up your reference points...I think this really helps in learning the track..Once you have that down and are pretty consistent in the turns..you probably can move to something else..

and not worrying about going fast is real key..just take it nice and slow to start...

Let us know how it goes...trackdays are SO MUCH FUN...and I think a great way to work on and extend what you learned at CSS

Thanks Dom and Steve,

My first trackday will be in Hastings, Neb.( not til the first weekend in May). It looks like a wicked track, I can hardly wait til we meet (the track and I) lol. I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes. In the meantime...has anyone on the forum been to that track?...any tips?

Thanks guys and gals...

BCNU

Thanks Dom and Steve,

My first trackday will be in Hastings, Neb.( not til the first weekend in May). It looks like a wicked track, I can hardly wait til we meet (the track and I) lol. I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes. In the meantime...has anyone on the forum been to that track?...any tips?

Thanks guys and gals...

BCNU

Haven't been there, but would like to hear a report if someone does go there.

CF