My First Wera Race Pirelli Sprint Series At Barber

I am having a difficult time enjoying my excitement due to the tragic deaths of a rider and corner worker at race practice Friday. I am deeply saddened by this and my heart goes out to the families of those killed. I have never heard so many people be so quiet. The only sound was that of the idling helicopter rotors at the far end of the track between turn six and seven. I knew something was terribly wrong when the helicopter sat for an hour.

I guess we all forget or try to block out the dangers in this sport, what can happen on the track. There is always the possibility of mechanical failure, someone going down in front of you or a loss in concentration at high speed. I think we understand but this accident was so bazar so unexpected.

At 1:00 p.m. the announcement went out over the p.a. that race practice would resume for the next race group. Life continued, people suited up, the sounds of engines filled the air and people went about their business. My life continued too.

Sunday brought a new day with heavy morning rains. Everyone was soaking wet, trying to get rain tires on their machines. I thought I would not be able to race having only race slicks so I waited and hoped for the best. The sun came out and the first group raced on rains even though most of the track was dry. My first race, Senior Superbike Heavy, was the 6th race. I hoped that the track would be dry by my race. The track was dry enough for slicks except in a couple of spots but I just had to remember what I had been taught. I lined up on the grid in last place wearing a bright orange T-Shirt, thats what they do to newbies. I had a blast finishing 4th in the division and 15th overall. I represented well, I thought.

The next race I was in was the last race of the day, "A" Superbike Novice. I start last again with the identifying jersey "watch out for me!". I finished 8th out of 17 riders. Thanks to all of my coaches for their help and instruction.

A foot note to this is my feeling for life in general. If anything ever happens to me on the track please celebrate that I lived life, that I took every opportunity and lived every moment. I think that is what we all did after lunch on Friday.

• 2 weeks later...

Amen buddy!

I am having a difficult time enjoying my excitement due to the tragic deaths of a rider and corner worker at race practice Friday. I am deeply saddened by this and my heart goes out to the families of those killed. I have never heard so many people be so quiet. The only sound was that of the idling helicopter rotors at the far end of the track between turn six and seven. I knew something was terribly wrong when the helicopter sat for an hour.

I guess we all forget or try to block out the dangers in this sport, what can happen on the track. There is always the possibility of mechanical failure, someone going down in front of you or a loss in concentration at high speed. I think we understand but this accident was so bazar so unexpected.

At 1:00 p.m. the announcement went out over the p.a. that race practice would resume for the next race group. Life continued, people suited up, the sounds of engines filled the air and people went about their business. My life continued too.

Sunday brought a new day with heavy morning rains. Everyone was soaking wet, trying to get rain tires on their machines. I thought I would not be able to race having only race slicks so I waited and hoped for the best. The sun came out and the first group raced on rains even though most of the track was dry. My first race, Senior Superbike Heavy, was the 6th race. I hoped that the track would be dry by my race. The track was dry enough for slicks except in a couple of spots but I just had to remember what I had been taught. I lined up on the grid in last place wearing a bright orange T-Shirt, thats what they do to newbies. I had a blast finishing 4th in the division and 15th overall. I represented well, I thought.

The next race I was in was the last race of the day, "A" Superbike Novice. I start last again with the identifying jersey "watch out for me!". I finished 8th out of 17 riders. Thanks to all of my coaches for their help and instruction.

A foot note to this is my feeling for life in general. If anything ever happens to me on the track please celebrate that I lived life, that I took every opportunity and lived every moment. I think that is what we all did after lunch on Friday.

I really appriciate you post Fossil and your toughts! And although you must have mixed emotions still major congrats on your race and your results and also your boldness in taking that step!!!!

I think one of my favorite quotes is this one:

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.

I have been toying with the idea of trying some racing and you may have convinced me to go for it (even though I am so old lol)

steve

I really appriciate you post Fossil and your toughts! And although you must have mixed emotions still major congrats on your race and your results and also your boldness in taking that step!!!!

I think one of my favorite quotes is this one:

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.

I have been toying with the idea of trying some racing and you may have convinced me to go for it (even though I am so old lol)

steve

Steve,

Go For It! It was really no different than a track day. Most of the apprehension comes from just not knowing what to do, where to go and what the general procedure is...I belong to NESBA and STT so I posted on the racing section of the forums about my signing up. I had a lot of response from some really great guys who offered me a place in the paddock. They really helped more than I can say.

I will be signing up for the WERA Nationals at Barber in September. If you decide to take the plunge or want more information just leave some contact info on my message board. I will be glad to help in any way I can. You are never to old to live brother!

Hey Fossil!

Good job on the racing man!

For sure, having some help at the track, guys that know the ropes, make s a HUGE difference.

Keep us posted on your racing, and Steve too :)

Best,

CF