Position For Turn

Ok all you boys and girls,

The question is, I put all my weight on the inside peg for corner entry. Do I weight the outside peg for exit? Where is the weight most needed?

I'm a more weight on the outside through the turn kinda guy. I've tried with the weight on the inside for a whole trackday, and it was a fight all the way through. The way I look at it is that if you have your weight on the inside, you're pushing the bike down. Weight on the outside, and you're laying it down.

I'm a more weight on the outside through the turn kinda guy. I've tried with the weight on the inside for a whole trackday, and it was a fight all the way through. The way I look at it is that if you have your weight on the inside, you're pushing the bike down. Weight on the outside, and you're laying it down.

Why was it a fight? I have gained a significant improvement in lap times that seem to point to weighting the inside peg? I have heard that some coaches teach weighting the outside peg for exit. Is this to help stand the bike up so one can get on the gas quicker. I was wondering?

I was putting my weight on the inside peg, and trying to hold my body up while leaning in that direction. I had to hold on to the bars to stay on the bike, and couldn't get proper lock in on the outside. I couldn't relax my inside leg as I like to do. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but, as mentioned in another post just started, I love the Pivot Steering style. I can lock my outside leg in and just lean my body off the bike. It's smoother for me. I can loosen up my hands on the bar, and that makes my steering smoother.

When I'm locked in on the outside and am coming out of the corner, I use the motion of the bike to get be back in the seat, or to the other side for another corner. If you're weight is on the inside, you have to lift yourself back into the seat.

I was putting my weight on the inside peg, and trying to hold my body up while leaning in that direction. I had to hold on to the bars to stay on the bike, and couldn't get proper lock in on the outside. I couldn't relax my inside leg as I like to do. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but, as mentioned in another post just started, I love the Pivot Steering style. I can lock my outside leg in and just lean my body off the bike. It's smoother for me. I can loosen up my hands on the bar, and that makes my steering smoother.

When I'm locked in on the outside and am coming out of the corner, I use the motion of the bike to get be back in the seat, or to the other side for another corner. If you're weight is on the inside, you have to lift yourself back into the seat.

I was in a situation where I was having a hard time getting that extra second. I started weighting the inside peg and holy ######, the times were there. You do have to try and get comfortable with position to do it but once your there its like taking the training wheels off. I had heard that some coaches teach weighting the outside peg and was wondering about that. I thought maybe the thinking was that if you pushed hard on the outside peg at exit, you would be helping to transfer the weight to a more upright position. So, it could be an aid or enhancement to pivot steering....I don't know just asking. Anything I can come up with to go faster, you know?

I'm sure I was doing it wrong then. There are no trackdays right now, but next Sunday when I go practice, I'll experiment. I'm going to try getting my wife in the habit of doing everything I'm teaching her with more speed. I'll have an opportunity to give this a shot. How much weight do you think you put on the inside when going in? More than a 50/50 ratio? I've done that as well, and it is alright, but I still have trouble getting into optimum BP. Where are you when you transfer your weight back to the outside? Thinking about it, I'd think it would be a transition while the bike is going over during your initial dip, with a transfer of weight back to the outside for optimum control.

I'm sure I was doing it wrong then. There are no trackdays right now, but next Sunday when I go practice, I'll experiment. I'm going to try getting my wife in the habit of doing everything I'm teaching her with more speed. I'll have an opportunity to give this a shot. How much weight do you think you put on the inside when going in? More than a 50/50 ratio? I've done that as well, and it is alright, but I still have trouble getting into optimum BP. Where are you when you transfer your weight back to the outside? Thinking about it, I'd think it would be a transition while the bike is going over during your initial dip, with a transfer of weight back to the outside for optimum control.

The thing about the weigh amount is probably 80% on the inside peg. I get as close as possible to the tank. I mean snug so that I can hold with the opposite thigh against the tank. You have all your thigh against the tank and it is so much easier to keep weight off the bars and on the inside peg when you can hold on with that much surface area. I have tried pushing my knee into the tank but you have to push with the outside leg and for me that is brutal. I felt very awkward at first doing this because I am 6'2" tall. I feel like I am am hanging out over the front of the bike but the proof is in the times.

The thing about the weigh amount is probably 80% on the inside peg. I get as close as possible to the tank. I mean snug so that I can hold with the opposite thigh against the tank. You have all your thigh against the tank and it is so much easier to keep weight off the bars and on the inside peg when you can hold on with that much surface area. I have tried pushing my knee into the tank but you have to push with the outside leg and for me that is brutal. I felt very awkward at first doing this because I am 6'2" tall. I feel like I am am hanging out over the front of the bike but the proof is in the times.

I bet we could tweak your position a little and make that easier on you.