More "quizzes" From Riding Coaches

To all you riding coaches out there....

I am sometimes loath to start a topic....but I have been enjoying the sort of brain teasers that Cobie puts out there sometimes, asking about what our most important part of cornering etc is.

But they have been few and far between lately! It's discouraging when there are so few new posts or new and intriguing topics when you log in.

I post questions as and when they occur to me, but with all these highly paid riding coaches out there ;) , I want them to earn their wages and keep the forum vibrant!

So the challenge is there.....get those brain teasing questions out into public! You never know where they might lead you know.....hopefully to better understanding of the art of cornering.

Hi dbtriple

I like it when an interesting cornering subject is discussed on this forum but you cant leave it to the coaches to start the discussions, jaybird used to be good at kick starting debates and discussions on here but he hasn't been around much lately, probably because its summer!

Best to ask a specific cornering question to the forum and see what kind of replies you get!

As for the coaches earning their money, I think that they do that on the track, the fact we get some of the top coaches in the world voicing their opinions on this forum is a very big bonus for us guys and girls that are constantly working on improving our technique!

Morning DBtriple....

A very interesting post in itself, mainly due to the inaccuracy about Coach salaries.. :lol: I'm not sure if the greater public actually know, but of the 90 worldwide coaches that make up the coaching rosta, there are only a very small handfull that are fulltime. The rest of us have real jobs, :( , we do this because we love riding, we love what the school has brought to our own riding, and we're all passionate about our's and our students learning.

We essentially get paid a nominal fee, but it's buttons for a 13 hour day of setting up and coaching and packing up at the end of the day, so we do this for our passion of riding, and for sharing the knowledge. It's hard doing 15-18 days a year in my case juggling personal life with work commitments, and so on, but we do, and we do because of people like you, people who crave and love to learn more about what it is we've learnt. :lol:

So my friend, just for you, I created a new post... because you're interested... so look it up, and get posting, and sharing your thoughts.

Bullet

Morning DBtriple....

A very interesting post in itself, mainly due to the inaccuracy about Coach salaries.. :lol: I'm not sure if the greater public actually know, but of the 90 worldwide coaches that make up the coaching rosta, there are only a very small handfull that are fulltime. The rest of us have real jobs, :( , we do this because we love riding, we love what the school has brought to our own riding, and we're all passionate about our's and our students learning.

We essentially get paid a nominal fee, but it's buttons for a 13 hour day of setting up and coaching and packing up at the end of the day, so we do this for our passion of riding, and for sharing the knowledge. It's hard doing 15-18 days a year in my case juggling personal life with work commitments, and so on, but we do, and we do because of people like you, people who crave and love to learn more about what it is we've learnt. :lol:

So my friend, just for you, I created a new post... because you're interested... so look it up, and get posting, and sharing your thoughts.

Bullet

Bullet,

I can see that no coach can be attracted to working as coach if they work only for the coach's salary----there are many more jobs with better money reward for the actual time spent, extra time for preparation, and giving up their time with their significant ones at home for awhile.

Glad that there are group of people like you as coaches who have the passion to share their experience of riding and improve our skills.

Fair enough on the salaries I was only pulling your legs! and fair enough on the rest of it too....it's just that the forum has been a bit quiet lately......I'll try and think up a question or two.....it's not as if I don't need help believe me! Just hard to know what to ask sometimes, and as you must have noticed sometimes unexpected answers come from srange sources.......

Fair enough on the salaries I was only pulling your legs! and fair enough on the rest of it too....it's just that the forum has been a bit quiet lately......I'll try and think up a question or two.....it's not as if I don't need help believe me! Just hard to know what to ask sometimes, and as you must have noticed sometimes unexpected answers come from srange sources.......

Oh I know buddie, I know. Is a fairly common misconception though believe it or not. :lol:

The forum does have a tendancy to be read only, not too many people who come post, so it does take the brave few to ask questions, or share their throughts, and I'm not sure if people are embarassed sometimes to say they don't know something or just voice an opinion? They've no need, though as you've occasionally seen, some of the threads can get a little over heavy and over complicated unneccesarily.

We're trying to get more things started, and it seems to be improving all the time for sure.

Catch ya soon man,

Bullet

What exactly do you mean dptriple about unexpected answers coming from strange sources?

It is a forum after all and as long as people are writing within the parameters of what we are discussing then there should be no problem, I for one think its a good thing that people are putting forward their opinions of cornering a motorbike even if sometimes you dont agree with what they say, in most occasions people will back up their statements with a section from one of Keiths books which makes it hard to argue but great for discussing.

For as long as I have been using this forum, I have seen regular posters improving and writing about overcoming riding barriers and that includes racers and coaches, and I find that encouraging to keep pushing myself, I have even been involved in discussions with Keith Code himself regarding specific sections of the twist books, I cant think of a better source of information than that!

I would like to see more people posting and joining discussions here, without being worried about being seen as putting forward unreliable information, if you doubt what someone has to say it maybe worth questioning why?

Hi dbtriple

I like it when an interesting cornering subject is discussed on this forum but you cant leave it to the coaches to start the discussions, jaybird used to be good at kick starting debates and discussions on here but he hasn't been around much lately, probably because its summer!

Best to ask a specific cornering question to the forum and see what kind of replies you get!

As for the coaches earning their money, I think that they do that on the track, the fact we get some of the top coaches in the world voicing their opinions on this forum is a very big bonus for us guys and girls that are constantly working on improving our technique!

Sorry I haven't been seen posting in awhile. I read the forums, but...just haven't posted...for various reasons. AND THEN I find I miss a lot of the discussions and by the time I see them, they're old and stale or require a lot of reading just to catch up.

If you want a brain teaser, Stuman is your guy.

What exactly do you mean dptriple about unexpected answers coming from strange sources?

It is a forum after all and as long as people are writing within the parameters of what we are discussing then there should be no problem, I for one think its a good thing that people are putting forward their opinions of cornering a motorbike even if sometimes you dont agree with what they say, in most occasions people will back up their statements with a section from one of Keiths books which makes it hard to argue but great for discussing.

For as long as I have been using this forum, I have seen regular posters improving and writing about overcoming riding barriers and that includes racers and coaches, and I find that encouraging to keep pushing myself, I have even been involved in discussions with Keith Code himself regarding specific sections of the twist books, I cant think of a better source of information than that!

I would like to see more people posting and joining discussions here, without being worried about being seen as putting forward unreliable information, if you doubt what someone has to say it maybe worth questioning why?

Acebobby,

I only meant that sometimes the threads move in welcome and unexpected directions - and more info than the original question needed sometimes helped in unexpected ways.

I by no means meant to imply that unreliable info was being put forward, although now I'm a bit worried..... ;) .

regards

db

This is only my second summer on the site, but I think Cobie, and perhaps more of the instructors, get busy with the school being so active. During the summer here, I can only practice, so not many questions come up, but luckily when our season starts, Cobie is around to help. I've seen more activity this year from the instructors than last, and for that I am grateful. I'm just waiting for that frickin' DVD to come out. I'm sure that will spark a lot of questions from us.

• 1 month later...

"quizzes" - where r the quizzes?

I read a reply in the "bands of traction" thread that in level 4, you fill out a questionaire in order to customize tutoring to strengthen your riding weaknesses. I was hoping to find something here that resembled that questionaire.

I am about to begin my schooling (lvls1-4) in december and preparation of not just my bike, but my self mentally is my top priority at the moment. I think a questionaire similar to the one I read about would be ideal for getting into the right headspace.

Is it something that is able to be posted? Or should I just hang on untill natural progression has me filling out the questionaire on the morning of level 4?

thanx cornering crew

I am about to begin my schooling (lvls1-4) in december and preparation of not just my bike, but my self mentally is my top priority at the moment. I think a questionaire similar to the one I read about would be ideal for getting into the right headspace.

Is it something that is able to be posted? Or should I just hang on untill natural progression has me filling out the questionaire on the morning of level 4?

thanx cornering crew

Morning BBlade

All thats required for level 1 - 3, is an open mind, and desire to want to apply the drills, and to learn and practice in the boundaries of how the school is run, i.e. its not a normal track day. The curriculm is set, so you run sequentially through it resolving your misunderstandings, or removing bad habits as you go along. You don't for example work on something until you've had the classroom session on why we do the drill, what benefits you get from it, etc, etc. Some areas you may well already be very good at, others no doubt will need much work, so all we need is for you need not come pre-loaded with ideas on, "well, I think I need this (usually body position)", as the program will resolve all of your riding issues in time, in way thats been proven to work exceptionally well.

When you get to doing level 4, it will be time to think about you, what's not worked too well, where are you still struggling to apply a drill, where is that technical knowledge a little sparse or their is a misunderstanding. That gets your day going then you work on a combination of that, and what your coach sees on track and identifies as the area where you need the most work, and will get the most improvement.

Hope that helps cover your question?

Bullet