Hi All

Hi , Some great info around here.

Background

------------

I ride a sports tourer motorbike on private roads and really enjoy it, however my skill level is rusty i.e on sweepers no problem do sweeping bends , but in a tight series of bends 35-65km im nervous , i've been useing the roller coaster method , basically charge up to the corner as fast as possible then slam the brakes on right before the bend and then lay it down to get around the corner , some of the issues i'm having on tight corners are;

- locking the back wheel up going in (fishtailing), wrong gear or too much rear brake

- not leaning over enough

- running wide

- sliding

- washing off too much speed going in

- no enough speed going out

- scraping boots

- not knowing if im going to make it around without throwing down the road

- bouncing the needle of the tacho

I've got twist II book , to be honest i don't understand it all that well. Mates have give me advise i.e use back brakes when going in , or use front brakes going around , hang off , don't hang off , use the revs (lower gear), use the torque(higher gear) all good advise i'm sure.

I've got 0.5cm chicken strips on my 200 rear tyre and the 120 front has 0.5cm chicken strip i havent scrap pegs yet either so basically the bike has more to offer than i can give it.

Do you think a superbike course will help me improve my road riding ? thanks for the answers

Hi , Some great info around here.

Background

------------

I ride a sports tourer motorbike on private roads and really enjoy it, however my skill level is rusty i.e on sweepers no problem do sweeping bends , but in a tight series of bends 35-65km im nervous , i've been useing the roller coaster method , basically charge up to the corner as fast as possible then slam the brakes on right before the bend and then lay it down to get around the corner , some of the issues i'm having on tight corners are;

- locking the back wheel up going in (fishtailing), wrong gear or too much rear brake

- not leaning over enough

- running wide

- sliding

- washing off too much speed going in

- no enough speed going out

- scraping boots

- not knowing if im going to make it around without throwing down the road

- bouncing the needle of the tacho

I've got twist II book , to be honest i don't understand it all that well. Mates have give me advise i.e use back brakes when going in , or use front brakes going around , hang off , don't hang off , use the revs (lower gear), use the torque(higher gear) all good advise i'm sure.

I've got 0.5cm chicken strips on my 200 rear tyre and the 120 front has 0.5cm chicken strip i havent scrap pegs yet either so basically the bike has more to offer than i can give it.

Do you think a superbike course will help me improve my road riding ? thanks for the answers

Hi Busa,

Welcome to our forum. You're more than welcome to post, ask any questions you like, and see if we can help you out.

I've read your post, and it sounds like some of your riding isn't very comfortable and enjoyable? Some of your comments, really got my attention, your comment on running wide, and not knowing whether you're going to make it through the turn really mustn't be at all enjoyable for you?

I'm afraid friends, or people you know can only share their own pearls of wisdom, and some of it I'm afraid you'll find isn't worth much, certainly comments like use the front brake in a turn is really only a last resort kind of option, and can have bad consquences on the whole.

At Superbike school, we've developed a structured learning programme that removes myth from mystery, and enables a student to learn the great techniques Keith has developed over his life's work, in a simple effective course that anyone who rides a motorbike can benefit from. Everyone starts at the same level, (level 1), regardless of previous experience, and we ensure that everyone has the esential fundamentals required for basic cornering technique. The upper levels build more on these fundamentals, with level 2 being predominatly about visuals, and level 3 about your phsyical interaction with the bike.

Can we help you, I have no doubt, I guess the question for you is this? What is you want to get from coming to a school? Do you want to be safer, faster, smoother, quicker, in control? If the answer is yes to these things, absolutely we can give you those skills and that knowledge. If you want to try and go as fast as you can and get rid of those chicken strips as top priority, you're probably better to get yourself some track days instead.

I hope you'd like to find out more about what and how we coach, I'm sure many of the students who have gone through the programme from around the world will be more than happy to share with you their experiences, and tell you whether it's been a worthwhile experience or not!

If you have any other questions you'd like to ask, please do so, and we'll try and help you out.

Bullet

Hi busa.

I am assuming that you are wondering whether the superbike school is good for improving road riding and not only for the track guys! If thats the case then definitely yes go to school and you will be amazed at what level 1 will do for you!

Some of the problems you are experiencing are a bit concerning though, are you riding at a fast pace to try to keep up with mates when you are running wide or wondering whether your going to make the turn?

You said you had twist 2, so I would recomend that you start by studying the sections on throttle control, there you will learn what throttle control rule #1 is and what you want to do is find a way of applying it to every corner you ride! I would say start by entering the turn a bit slower, even try to use minimum brakes for a while while experimenting with this, after you have steered the bike apply TC rule #1, this may be a change in riding style for you but it is worth practicing constantly, and it will give you a lot more feeling of being in control of the bike throughout the turn!

Hope this helps you, and ride at a speed on the road that allows you make the turn without running wide, you wont get away with it for ever!

Hey Busa.....

Your experience sounds a bit like mine pre level 1. I can only say that it is the start of the journey, but it will definitely improve your confidence levels immensely. You won't be knee down the next day (probably) but you'll have a new understanding of what makes the bike work, and it will cut through the well-meaning but misguided advice of others to show you demonstrable techniques which you can then work on improving.

Take on level 1 and you'll be laughing like a fat spider.....

db

Hi Busa and welcome,

Good comments from Ace and Bullet. One of the most productive aspects of the school is the overall approach: clear, complete technical breifing on one subject at a time. If something doesn't make complete sense, then ask the seminarist, he'll make sure it is clear.

Then, you get a qualified coach to work with you on track, and see how well you actually execute that data. This approach has worked the best of all the ones Keith has researched, for sure you'll get good help at your skill level, and with your riding.

In the mean time, post away any questions you have, anything you'd like to get cleared up.

Best,

Cobie