Will These Tires Be Okay?

Hey all, I have a track day planned for the 30th at big Willow, and while I am there I'm also going to do the "New Racer School" that the Willow Springs Motorcycle Club requires for participation in WSMC events.

My question for everyone is this: will my current tires be sufficient?

They are in great shape, certainly not worn out but they are just regular Michelin Pilot Powers (link HERE) and although I think they'll be fine for me I was wondering what kind of tires (besides Dunlop) the CSS uses on their bikes for the schools, and if anybody thinks I will NEED to have a track specific tire (like Power Ones of BT003 or the Dunlop equivalent)?

Anyways, I guess that's it. This question is officially open to the Cornering Forum Brain Trust!

Those tires will be fine. I have used them for the first two years of my track riding, and although I'm going to change to something else, it will just be to try something new. I can get 3 trackdays out of them, and that's because I commute on them also. They're solid tires.

Those tires will be fine. I have used them for the first two years of my track riding, and although I'm going to change to something else, it will just be to try something new. I can get 3 trackdays out of them, and that's because I commute on them also. They're solid tires.

Thanks Hubbard! That's exactly the kind of response I was looking for, and I kind of figured that if the day ever comes that I can fully realize the potential of these tires someone will give me tires for free, hahah.

We just use the Dunlops. The nice thing for students, we have a killer deal on the Dunlops (really good) but you have to be a student, or at least signed up for a school to get that deal.

CF

We just use the Dunlops. The nice thing for students, we have a killer deal on the Dunlops (really good) but you have to be a student, or at least signed up for a school to get that deal.

CF

Yeah, very aware that you all use the Dunlops. They have a great reputation. I was just curious WHICH Dunlops you use, meaning do you use something similar to the Pilot Powers (track/street) or do you use a more dedicated track tire, or slick or something?

Anyways, of course I'd still be interested in which Dunlops you use with the school but I think I got my answer on the Pilot Powers that are currently on my bike: they will be fine.

Having said all that I DO want to get some Dunlop track tires in the near future.

Hey all, I have a track day planned for the 30th at big Willow, and while I am there I'm also going to do the "New Racer School" that the Willow Springs Motorcycle Club requires for participation in WSMC events.

My question for everyone is this: will my current tires be sufficient?

They are in great shape, certainly not worn out but they are just regular Michelin Pilot Powers (link HERE) and although I think they'll be fine for me I was wondering what kind of tires (besides Dunlop) the CSS uses on their bikes for the schools, and if anybody thinks I will NEED to have a track specific tire (like Power Ones of BT003 or the Dunlop equivalent)?

Anyways, I guess that's it. This question is officially open to the Cornering Forum Brain Trust!

Those tires will be great, they have plenty of grip, warm up fast, and last a long time. I would not recommend switching to the Power Ones unless you are riding REALLY, REALLY fast. They are super stiff and hard to warm up if you don't use warmers, and if you are doing the school you won't want to use warmers. Plus they cost more!

IMHO, the Pilot Powers are pretty similar in grip and handling characteristics to the Dunlops that CSS uses on school bikes.