Howdy!

Hi there from Mid-Ohio!

I hope it's ok to hang out in the forum even though I haven't taken a CSS class yet. :unsure: Although I've read TOTW 2! :D I've been thinking of doing the one at Mid-Ohio sometime..... Whenever I get enough cash :lol:

This might be a stupid question, and I hope it's not taken the wrong way but, are the classes really worth it? I've done some novice level track day classes and they were nice, but I need some instruction that is a step or two above that.

I'm currently a novice level club racer about to be bumped up to expert. I've hit a serious rut in my riding and it seems like I cannot improve any. Actually, I'm getting slower :( and it's costing me a regional championship.

But anyways... Hi!

Apache,

Welcome to the forum. I see that you are asking about instruction and whether it is worth it. You also stated that you are hitting a wall and that your times have fallen off a bit. I have taken several CSS classes with great result.

I think that we all get to a point in our riding that we do pretty well at a certain level with a style of riding we think is the best or in some cases what we mimic with out the benefit of knowing why we are supposed to do it.

There are some things you can learn from a track day "control rider" and there are many things you can't.

Many people wouldn't hesitate to pay 600.00 dollars for an aftermarket slip on for their bike but hesitate to spend it on instruction that could save you from a serious injury or death. but I guess if you are not afraid of dying, think of it in terms of breaking those riding barriers that can put you in the top tier of your track organization or club racing. If I had it all to do over again, I would have spent even more on instruction. Of course, I'm not done yet.

The critical path in achieving my goals is better technique because the faster you want to go the better your technique has to be.

Hope you have more posts in the future...take care.

P.S. I would really love to ride Mid-Ohio some day!

Howdy. I hope you do spend some time on this site. Great people, and you'll learn a lot.

As far as whether the schools really improve your riding, I'll tell you in November. I'l love to live close to a track they instruct at, though. The single day price seems worth it, and I'd love to be able to do level 4 a couple to a few times a year.

Apache;

Fossil has given you some excellent advice but there is one truth that you and I know that he doesn't: ...He doesn't know how much he will love riding Mid Ohio.

Rainman

Haha! Yeah that's true. Next to VIR, Mid-Ohio is the best IMO.

As far as the different levels, I want a program that will help me become the best racer I can be. Not just a better street rider. I have completely dedicated my life to racing and am absolutely cut throat dead serious about it. Naive? Yes I know, but what do you expect from a 20 y/o? I'm just tired of trying to learn and figure everything out on my own. I need a coach who is also dead serious, not just a "control rider" as you stated Fossil. I need a drill sergeant breathing down my neck critiquing every little detail of my riding and giving me hell if I don't improve. Is that too much to ask for?

Would level 1 be too basic? Do I have to start at level 1? I would like to go to Laguna, but I don't want to travel across the country to just cruise around the track and learn about blipping downshifts all over again.

Apache,

Why don't you send an e-mail to Cobie Fair and talk to him. I have told my story numerous times and I am sure most could repeat it by heart. But the tenants of any program have to start with a skill set to work up from. Everybody starts at level I. Does that mean you have to poke around the track like grandma, no.

I am much faster now than I was for my first CSS school. I actually did level I over again this last school at VIR. So that would be my eleventh and it was actually good to review the "foundation" of good riding techniques. Nobody stopped me from riding hard as long as I was doing the drill

I am a firm believer in the philosophy that things happen for a reason, that we choose different paths and they lead us in different directions. Maybe you could hit upon what you need to succeed down another path. But maybe, what you need could easily be missed by your apprehension to start at the beginning.

P.S. I take it from Kevin and your response, you have never ridden Barber? :D

Apache;

Fossil has given you some excellent advice but there is one truth that you and I know that he doesn't: ...He doesn't know how much he will love riding Mid Ohio.

Rainman

Haha! Yeah that's true. Next to VIR, Mid-Ohio is the best IMO.

As far as the different levels, I want a program that will help me become the best racer I can be. Not just a better street rider. I have completely dedicated my life to racing and am absolutely cut throat dead serious about it. Naive? Yes I know, but what do you expect from a 20 y/o? I'm just tired of trying to learn and figure everything out on my own. I need a coach who is also dead serious, not just a "control rider" as you stated Fossil. I need a drill sergeant breathing down my neck critiquing every little detail of my riding and giving me hell if I don't improve. Is that too much to ask for?

Would level 1 be too basic? Do I have to start at level 1? I would like to go to Laguna, but I don't want to travel across the country to just cruise around the track and learn about blipping downshifts all over again.

Apache;

The School will make you better; there is no question in my mind about that. As a multi-time student and east coast corner worker I have both experienced and seen the results. The program is spread evenly and sequentially over the first three levels with refinement in level IV. The levels are not Beginner-Intermediate-Advanced like you might see in a track club based school.

If you want to get the best of their offering, I would recommend the two day camp because it has a limited enrollment, very low coach/student ratio, only two riding groups and all of the off track drills you could want. It includes video review so you will get a lot of feedback on your riding. You will also ride a lot at the two day camp.

Do they treat you like a drill sargent may? No, they are thoroughly professional in their approach and understand that you are there because you want to learn.

If your riding technique needs no improvement and you know exactly what you are doing out there then maybe you should consider CodeRACE which I have also attended. It is a full on race school very different from their regular offerings. You will have open timed practices (like a CCS weekend) and will also be taught different racing techniques and you will race at the end of both days. You race against other students and the Coaches.

Fossil's idea to call Cobie is one I would second. There is a great deal to learn here; you sound serious enough that you should at least take a hard look at what they can offer you.

Rainman

Hi Apache,

We get riders like like you (totally into it :)). I will be in the office the next 3 days, then we leave on Sunday for Sears Pt. Feel free to give me a ring.

The levels (1-3) will give you a greate foundation, and apply ALL the way up the line. It's not that Level 1 is beginner, it's the most critical to get right. National and world champs have gotten lots from it, you won't get bored.

Laguna is a fun track, but we can talk about different options too--some tracks are better than others for training.

Best,

Cobie

800-530-3350