bjwillson

The races I've be watching show the racers starting to increase there

speed after they've gone through about 50-60% of the corner. They initiate

there turns at the apex while there still slowing down and then finally

speed up (slowly) usually more than about 1/2 way into the turn as they are

coming out of a full lean. I guess I was confused because I thought I was

told to start to slowly increasing my speed or getting back on the throttle

right after I turn on the apex, or at least that's what I remember. I

remember trying to slow down before the apex (the yellow x's on the track)

so I could get back on the throttle as soon as I committed my lean at the

apex. I guess my question is should I be "slowing down" THROUGH the apex

and lean and then engage the throttle toward the middle of the turn?

Thanks!

Hi BJW,

Just to make sure one thing is clear, "apex" is where the rider get's closest to the inside of the turn. The yellow X is the turn point, that is where the rider begins turning the bike.

There is a lot of information on this in the Twist of the Wrist 2 book, or DVD.

Do you recall when you were supposed to begin the throttle roll on, what did you understand from the seminar on this?

CF

Hi BJW,

Just to make sure one thing is clear, "apex" is where the rider get's closest to the inside of the turn. The yellow X is the turn point, that is where the rider begins turning the bike.

There is a lot of information on this in the Twist of the Wrist 2 book, or DVD.

Do you recall when you were supposed to begin the throttle roll on, what did you understand from the seminar on this?

CF

Yes, you're right. I meant to say the turn point instead of the apex. Too much turkey for Thanksgiving and Christmas has me forgetting. I thought my throttle roll on was after the turn point. I may need a clarification from what I've seen on tv. The racers look like they are slowing down through the turnpoint while they are quickly initiating there lean and then speeding up as they pass the midpoint of the turn. Will try to get the dvd as well. Tnx!!

What you typically see on TV is the application of different techniques. As I understand things, CSS teaches a building block approach to riding that may not always coincide with what we see on TV. And like you I understand that the goal is to get on the throttle as soon as turning is completed and lean angle is established.

The racers on TV are doing just that: racing. If you plan on racing or do race now, it would benefit you to make sure you start learning that process once you learn the standard approach to cornering. It's the basics of what you will be doing when you race.

The goal of a proper turn is to brake to the turn point, make your steering adjustment at the turn point, get on the gas as soon as possible.

It coincides, for me, more with the type of turn than the apex. If I'm doing an early apex turn I'm on the gas before the apex because I'm planning on kicking the bike outside quickly. If I'm doing a turn with another one quickly after, I will hesitate for a second before getting back on the gas after making my steering input so I don't go out so wide, and stay more inside or in the middle of the track for the second corner. I never really attach the apex to when I get back on the gas.