Electric Bikes

...In a couple decades we'll have powerful long-range electric bikes and this whole silly shifting business will be a thing of the past that only old guys remember, so what's the point in even worrying about it?

:D

Don't have to wait for decades, the slipper clutch had already done that for bikes. Just like what DSG transmission and Nissan's SynchroRev Match did to the skill of heel & toe downshifting....

I hadn't heard of synchro-rev but I read about it and it sounds like it would be pretty fun in a car, or bike I guess!

But screw the DSG, the synchro whatever, CVTs (continuously variable transmission), and the whole transmission altogether, plus clutches, torque converters, intricate valve trains, catalytic converters, and fuel injection systems... all a bunch of complicated expensive solutions to overcome the inherent flaws in combustion engines.

And after all that, you still need a battery and an electric motor to bring the engine to life in the first place. People have gotten so used to these things that they take for granted how complicated it all is. And despite all the expensive and complicated emissions ######, they still end up causing smog in every city around the world.

Electric engine: Attach engine to rear wheel with chain and sprockets, twist throttle to go! Max torque from zero rpms! Wheelie machine! No clutch, no shifting. Totally off-topic but just say'n, my little rant, hehe. Where is that magic battery. :D

I wanted to continue this on a different thread...

I ran across this the other day and I thought "I want one!":

http://www.mavizen.com/Bikes_and_Kits/TTX02.html

It would be interesting to ride one and compare the dynamics, cornering, etc. Has anyone done that?

A co-worker found an article about some guys at a university that figured a way to get 10x charge in Li-Ion- one break through like that, which works, will change everything.

I ran across this the other day and I thought "I want one!":

http://www.mavizen.com/Bikes_and_Kits/TTX02.html

It would be interesting to ride one and compare the dynamics, cornering, etc. Has anyone done that?

Very cool indeed. But their words about "built-in webserver" and "runs on Linux OS" makes me wonder if it's just an elaborate prank. From the

video they're linking to, it obviously isn't.

The power pack isn't huge: the biggest is 11kWh and a MotoGP has around 240bhp, and uses on average, say, half the power for around 45minutes of racing. That's ½*240bhp*736W/bhp*3/4h = ~66kWh, ie 6x the energy of the TTX02.

What am I missing here? That the TTX2 doesn't put out a lot of bhp?

Very cool indeed. But their words about "built-in webserver" and "runs on Linux OS" makes me wonder if it's just an elaborate prank. From the

The power pack isn't huge: the biggest is 11kWh and a MotoGP has around 240bhp, and uses on average, say, half the power for around 45minutes of racing. That's ½*240bhp*736W/bhp*3/4h = ~66kWh, ie 6x the energy of the TTX02.

I don't think these will compete with MotoGP for awhile (horsepower per pound, hardly anything else does anyhow!), probably better to think of this as a light 250 or 125 bike. Another thought, this is just me guessing, is that regenerative braking can influence these number quite a bit too. Racebikes accelerate hard, but they brake hard too, so maybe the net energy usage isn't so high.

I don't think these will compete with MotoGP for awhile (horsepower per pound, hardly anything else does anyhow!), probably better to think of this as a light 250 or 125 bike. Another thought, this is just me guessing, is that regenerative braking can influence these number quite a bit too. Racebikes accelerate hard, but they brake hard too, so maybe the net energy usage isn't so high.

And for a few, get the heart rate and heat generated by a racer to work, then we'd really have some use out of technology :)

CF