Things To Check When Buying At Motorbike Auctions

Hey all

Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on what to check and look out for when going to buy at a damaged motorbikes auction. I intend to race 600cc next year, but I want to get a bike set up now so I can get used to it. So if anyone has bought or knows of someone who bought please give some advice my way. I sort of have an idea of what to look for, but I want to go there with a big list of things to check before I impulse buy.

Thanks

Dylan

Don't know where you are in Melbourne but Brett at Madbiker goes through the checks in his maintenance course and gives you a copy of the checklist. (or he did when I did the course)

http://www.madbiker.com.au/en/

there's also a guy on e-bay selling repairable write offs

http://shop.ebay.com.au/adrenalinperforman...p;_trksid=p4340

If you're considering cost then would it help to better understand the total to repair and prep a crashed road bike versus a prepped race bike?

If so then jot down a list of modifications you intent to make on the road bike post sale, then check what your total spend will be compared with buying a ready-to-race bike off the classifieds on a site such as www.formula-xtreme.com.au

Often you'll find an already prepped race bike will have the bits you want and a price that's considerably less then a modded up auction/ex road bike.

Good to do the homework on it anyway, you may well find a race bike is far better maintained then the average track bike or crashed road bike for the reason that it has a job to do and must be reliable to do that job.

Be sure to understand the auctions $ costs too, if its manheim-fowles or pickles it's all disclosed on their site.

Happy racebike hunting!

Thanks Jason,

Your the third person in a few hours whos said the same thing to me, so I think I save the money and race something smaller and less tyre chewing, plus I wouldnt know what the engines like until I bought it. Ive spent a bit of times surfing classifieds, formula xtreme, and the list goes on... think 250 4 stroke stock racing may be the cheapest option :)

Thanks for the help

Dylan