Instructors, How Do You Keep In Shape?

faffi

As stuman said there are loads of fitness threads, and they are worth searching as there's some good stuff on them but I thought this might interest you

http://www.bikesportnews.com/articles/arti...H_LEON_CAMIER_1

It seems to be the sport of choice with most racers!

Bobby

Honestly for a while I didn't worry about it as long as I fit into leathers - that was questionable on a few occasions I'm sorry to say. I didn't feel riding relaxed at a 75% pace required more - even for 15 sessions a day.

Last year racing, I just rode more to build my leg strength.

Now that I want to do better than I did last year, I'm dieting (high protein, low carb), running, and cycling. I prefer running because it burns calories per unit of time and when done with a minimalist shoe http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/, builds strength in the arch, calf as well as the quads. That makes it real easy to get stable on the bike and not use energy elsewhere.

There have been a few threads on fitness you might try a search...

Having worked out for 30 years, reading volumes on nutrition and several types of workouts, I wasn't looking for general fitness information. I try to stay in reasonable shape (power lifting 3x week + 3x cardio/week) - primarily due to vanity :P

However, I was interested in how the instructors stay in shape, if they do something that keeps them in top form. Or if they rely on lots of riding? What are the demands for you to stay in shape, considering you probably do many long days in the saddle during classes?

For instance, I did a search and found one article by you, stuman, where you mentioned having cycled 5x per week leading up to a 200 miler, I believe? Have you continued this practice, or are you into something else these days?

Having worked out for 30 years, reading volumes on nutrition and several types of workouts, I wasn't looking for general fitness information. I try to stay in reasonable shape (power lifting 3x week + 3x cardio/week) - primarily due to vanity :P

However, I was interested in how the instructors stay in shape, if they do something that keeps them in top form. Or if they rely on lots of riding? What are the demands for you to stay in shape, considering you probably do many long days in the saddle during classes?

Andy Ibbott writes in "Performance Riding Techniques" that basically to become "bike-fit" you need to ride the real bike and goes on to quote a top racer about always ending up being knackered after the first test post-winter (I'm paraphrasing from memory here). But it sure helps having a good cardio-vascular fitness.

Kai