Getting On The Throttle Asap

abhoy

I recently watched the 2007 MotoGp DVD review which has the onboard camera view. It seemed to me that when Rossi would turn in, the rpm continues to drop until the apex, then rpm would rise. It didn't seem like he was getting on the throttle immediately to get to the 60/40.

1. Are my observations wrong?

2. Or is he trailbraking all the way to the apex? (I've never tried trailbraking, so I don't know)

I recently watched the 2007 MotoGp DVD review which has the onboard camera view. It seemed to me that when Rossi would turn in, the rpm continues to drop until the apex, then rpm would rise. It didn't seem like he was getting on the throttle immediately to get to the 60/40.

1. Are my observations wrong?

2. Or is he trailbraking all the way to the apex? (I've never tried trailbraking, so I don't know)

Firstly, you must remember that those bikes are very, very sophisticated, they have incredible engine braking technology, tyre grip like you could only dream of, and just the best equipment in the world. Is he braking to the Apex, in some corners, sure, in every corner? No. You'll also notice they can lean on the electronics to some degree as well, they don't have to be careful (well, as careful) when they wind it on.

Make some sense?

Bullet

Bullet, are you sure that electronics are the panacea that it is made out to be? Although they do have superior technology, notably in the area of tires, the laws of physics are still the same...but this IMHO doesn't account for the reason Valentino trails so much (more than Casey or Lorenzo from what I've seen).

Many champions have used lots of trailbraking. In fact, you cannot even hope to win a world level race IMO without some degree of trailbraking today. Or are the examples of riders that doesn't trailbrake and still run at the pointy end? If there are, I'd be interested in learning who so that I have something to look for while watching this season's races.

First, I want to see one of Rosssi's on-board camera full qualifiying lap, just to see the difference from the fastest way around Vs strategic-minded & competitive-aggresive/defenting driving with only one goal in mind: To be the first at the finish line, to win all other riders.

I have started to use some trail braking recently on track days. Not in all corners, not always.

At first I descovered that less front reboud damping is usefull. Next, I could pass some more easily at the entry bacause I mooved my braking markers a little deeper. But, most of the time, it seems that it will take all of my efforts and attention, so I think-for now-that I have to concentrate on other things for dropping those lap times.

It is probably a confidence thing and doing it until it becomes second nature. For me, trailbraking (on the road) is natural and I need to make an effort to set my entrance speed early and drive through the corner under some power. I feel much more comfortable regulating the grip on the front wheel than the rear, a habit I formed during years of bicycling andmotorcycling on snow and ice. Even if it isn't the ideal way to ride ;)

Bullet, are you sure that electronics are the panacea that it is made out to be? Although they do have superior technology, notably in the area of tires, the laws of physics are still the same...but this IMHO doesn't account for the reason Valentino trails so much (more than Casey or Lorenzo from what I've seen).

I can't say for certain, as unfortunately for me, I've not ridden one. One things that's really obvious though is how the bike stability is controlled into the corners. Rossi for example doesn't even bother with blipping the throttle into the turn, just strolls up, whacks it down a few and brakes. Not of course there is a mechanical clutch, but it's electronically controlling the amount of slip, etc, etc.

As I noted before, unless you had a full on board lap comparision side by side you couldn't really compare braking styles and the effects of the different riders, as it's really the corner itself (how sharp/how fast) that will dictate how much far you can brake or whether indeed would need to brake deep into the turn anyway.

Bullet

It's not always going to be at the apex when they get back on the throttle. And I don't think the bike has anything to do with it. When turning, from your TP to your ultimate lean angle, you're off the throttle, so there is a drop in RPM's. It weights the front to aid in turning, then it's back to 60/40. That's in the faster qualifying lines. In racing it will be different because of trail braking and defensive lines. They will also have slower times taking racing lines.

It's such a difference that if you know where a rider is on the track/corner, and can see the brake/throttle ticker they show, you'll be able to figure out relatively quickly if they're on a race or qualifying line.

• 2 weeks later...

Christo, Thanks for the video link. I really enjoyed watching it. Ayup, that Yamaha factory guy rides just like me! :rolleyes: Actually, he rides his bike just like I drive my car--trail brake in, coast through the apex, then get on the gas on the way out. When I do this on the bike, it feels very familiar, but honestly using standard throttle control on the bike give me, and my passengers, a much greater sense of confidence and control. On the bike, at my skill level, swooping in with one turn and one continuous roll-on feels just fine. Crash106

Rossi for example doesn't even bother with blipping the throttle into the turn, just strolls up, whacks it down a few and brakes. Not of course there is a mechanical clutch, but it's electronically controlling the amount of slip, etc, etc.

i see him feed the clutch multiple times while entering. blipping is so 90's... lol