Can't Get A Grip On Controversy

Crash106

I just finished reading "Twist 2" and had a thought--if throttle control is so important to good cornering (see Rule 1), then should I keep all four fingers on the throttle? Yes, half of all accidents are from hitting something and it would be good to have my fingers on the brake. At the same time, the OTHER half of all bike accidents are from bad cornering where having a full, comfortable, relaxed grip with all four fingers on the throttle might be better. What do you think? What grip do you use? Thanks.

I just finished reading "Twist 2" and had a thought--if throttle control is so important to good cornering (see Rule 1), then should I keep all four fingers on the throttle? Yes, half of all accidents are from hitting something and it would be good to have my fingers on the brake. At the same time, the OTHER half of all bike accidents are from bad cornering where having a full, comfortable, relaxed grip with all four fingers on the throttle might be better. What do you think? What grip do you use? Thanks.

I have found that covering the front brake with two fingers at all times makes things awkward, especially during roll-ons, so I don't do it (anymore). If I'm braking or I am in a situation when I need extra quick reaction (for emergency braking), I do cover the front brake with two fingers.

Hope this helps,

Kai

I don't feel that I have any problem with accurate throttle control while covering the brakes with 2 fingers.

With street riding, blind turns, traffic, and what not, I think in some circumstances it can drastically improve reaction time for braking. I can recall a specific incident where a bulky winter glove got in the way of getting my fingers up to the lever as a car pulled out in front of me as I was exiting a blind turn.

I also use those "throttle rocker" things or similar devices, so ya don't have to squeeze the grip at all to turn it, helps on long rides mainly but also helps to relax the grip in general. I've even used them during track riding.

Throttle Rocker, not to be confused with a throttle lock, very different things. But yeah I agree with heavy gloves the Rockers are especially useful. Even in summer, just one hour on a bike without one makes my wrist hurt and takes away from the enjoyment of the ride.

Throttle rocker is something I have considered for just the reason described; quite often, the friction between grip and glove is poor (I have heated grips), requiring a too firm clench of the fist just to maintain throttle position. Seems I must buy a rocker now.

On the street you should be looking and planning far enough ahead that things move slowly enough for you to react. If this isnt' happening then you're going too fast for that situation.

Yep, ideally we should be able to comfortably stop and stay in our lane on the piece of road we can see in front of us at any given moment. But, that still does not guarantee that you wouldn't need to get on the brakes quickly. There can still be things that happen that you can not predict or plan for. Anytime you pass a car that is waiting to pull out of a side road, there is a small amount of time where you are depending on that car not to pull out, and there is no way around that. And then there are the large stupid animals like deer! And besides, nobody is so perfect that they really live up to that line-of-sight rule exactly all the time or is 100% attentive 100% of the time.

Just as with the rest, on the street you'll RARELY catch me without my fingers on the brake at least. Sometimes the clutch as well. On the track, unless I'm coming up to a corner, you're not going to catch me on the clutch or brake.