Radical "racing" Idea

I know this is the Cornering Forum, but because of some muscle problems, track days and road racing aren't high on my list of things to do. I have a rare muscle condition that makes me weak from excitement (like racing) and exercise (you know, like riding a motorcycle at speed around a road course). But I WOULD like to experience SOME of that. So, I'm thinking about trying some land speed record stuff.

There is an air strip here in North Carolina that has timing and radar equipment. I saw a guy do 242 mph on his turbo powered Haybusa last year. It looked like fun. I figure that for me, it would be easier, and safer, to stay strong for 2 minutes flat out, than 20 minutes or 2 hours or braking and clutching like crazy. Have any of you done this type of time trial/speed record racing? I'd love to take out an S1000RR and just see what 193 horsepower can really do. What do you think?

Here is a link to the East Coast Timing Association website:

http://www.ecta-lsr.com/

I went to an event at the Mojave airport once where we did top speed runs on the run way. We had some turbo busas and really fast cars show up and we did some races car vs bike. It is pretty funny to watch a turbo busa walk away from a Lambo like it is standing still.

Anyway, I got the chance to do a couple runs on my Concours 1400 and hit like 175mph. I was racing a Porche GT and they came by me toward the end. It wasn't very demanding physically so I think it might be something for you to try.

I know this is the Cornering Forum, but because of some muscle problems, track days and road racing aren't high on my list of things to do. I have a rare muscle condition that makes me weak from excitement (like racing) and exercise (you know, like riding a motorcycle at speed around a road course). But I WOULD like to experience SOME of that. So, I'm thinking about trying some land speed record stuff.

There is an air strip here in North Carolina that has timing and radar equipment. I saw a guy do 242 mph on his turbo powered Haybusa last year. It looked like fun. I figure that for me, it would be easier, and safer, to stay strong for 2 minutes flat out, than 20 minutes or 2 hours or braking and clutching like crazy. Have any of you done this type of time trial/speed record racing? I'd love to take out an S1000RR and just see what 193 horsepower can really do. What do you think?

I'm a bit lazy, so don't get worked too much (don't hang off much, never use the clutch, etc.), unless I'm absolutely going as fast as I can.

CF

Cobie,

You said, "I'm a bit lazy, so don't get worked too much (don't hang off much, never use the clutch, etc.), unless I'm absolutely going as fast as I can."

Thank you. That is very comforting. I have seen lots of YouTube.com track day videos with guys hanging all over and the bike is leaned at, maybe 30-degrees. It makes me tired just looking at them! It's nice to know an "expert" who oftentimes just wants to Ride the Bike.

Best wishes,

Crash

It's awesome you're finding a way to stay with the sport. Would hopping in the beginner group and working on form be too much? Especially if you've been to the school, you know there is plenty to work on. Maybe coaching beginners? If you can gain the knowledge, you definitely have the passion. Leaning isn't required. You can still get really fast. The guy who taught me the basics never leaned and he was in the intermediate group. He had a bum leg from a skiing accident.

• 1 month later...

That does sound fun, although frankly the amount of preparation and expense to get there to do a 2 minute run sounds a bit overwhelming to me!

To tag onto Cobie's comment, I find that just backing the pace off a little bit can be enough that I can ride very relaxed and not have to hang off far, and choosing to brake earlier and not so hard REALLY reduces fatigue for me. Another thing that's really helpful is to find a bike that is comfortable for you - maybe something more upright? I raced a Ninja 250 recently, and also rode another more touring oriented bike on the track, and I noticed the more upright position and lower foot pegs made a HUGE difference, my back and neck didn't get tired at all, it was easier on my quads, it was easier to look ahead (because I wasn't peering out from underneath the top part of my helmet), and they were still GREAT fun to ride around the track. The sport-touring bike cornered like a champ, I was really pleasantly surprised at the handling.

Racing smaller bikes might be a fun option, too - they could be more tiring if you don't fit on one well, but if you CAN fit, you can often find go-kart tracks that have open practice sessions for minibikes (NSR50s, for example), they are big fun and you feel like you are going fast, the tracks are usually a lot less crowded and you can choose to ride shorter sessions. Plus it's cheaper.

Except you SOUND like a horsepower junkie, so you might not like them. :)