Rossi And Lorenzo

Greetings,

Wondering what others' opinions on the Rossi vs. Lorenzo last few laps at Motegi. I saw the race and thought it was fantastic racing by two incredible champions. I was actually shocked at Lorenzo's comments after the race. I didn't think it was particularly dangerous, any more dangerous than Grand Prix motorcycle racing at the highest level.

I thought the two were giving it their all in a battle for the last spot on the podium. I understand that they are team mates but if Lorenzo was so concerned with a possible crash, he certainly could've backed off. When Lorenzo went for the overtake in the last three laps he surely didn't think it would be over and done with. He is well aware that Rossi will battle to the end. That is why he is has achieved the success that he has.

Interested in others' opinions.

It was exciting to watch, and racing used to be at least like this back in the days of Rainey and Schwantz etc.

However, this race IMO wasn't about the championship or risk management or getting the final podium spot.

Jorge could easily have settled for 4th, especially after his first attempt to pass caused a pretty dramatic attack from Rossi - he knew Rossi was not going to give up his spot for free. So from there on, Jorge was the one taking the risk, really, because he had been warned that trying to get past Rossi would be dangerous.

No, this was about a mental game, and Rossi came out on top. He proved how far he was willing to go to beat Jorge - and he did. But that's also why Jorge was taking the obvious risk of getting by Rossi - they both wanted badly to beat the other in order to gain a mental upper hand.

It was, so to speak, the first race of 2011.

Some old and close racing worth watching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCklVVSk3nM

I didn't hear the after race comments but IMHO it was Jorge that was being overly aggressive with his moves. When he ran wide on exit he moved across into Vale and then when he tried to go around Vale on the outside, he simply turned straight on top of him.

Valentino was clean but determined and Jorge was truly beaten. I am abig Vale fan so there is some bias but I am also a realist.

Sounds like Jorge did a Stoner in the after race chat. I hope that is not a sign for the future, we don't need two moaners tongue.gif

Those you tube clips are awesome! Thanks. We see the tapes Rossi grew up watching. I always heard that he was/is a huge Schwantz fan.

Seriously though, Lorenzo really did himself a disservice whining about Rossi's hard racing, especially when you look back and compare the "golden age" of Grand Prix motorcycle racing with the processions of today. The legends used to really race to the finish. the new generation wants to see who can get out first and ride, unimpeded, to the finish.

Fantastic clips there eirik, really great to watch. Makes you wish it was more like that now for sure. Get rid of all the technlogy i say. let them learn respect for the bikes again. wink.gif

Oh, and I didn't see anything wrong with it myself, firm, yes, but they were both as bad as each other really. Pride is a terrible thing sometime eh?

Bullet

I can only imagine that when you have such a championship lead like lorenzo at this point in the season it could be easy to feel like everyone is beating up on you, you would have 2 main problems, firstly you are the only rider in the race whose championship could be seriously destroyed by a crash and secondly, leading the championship makes you the guy everyone wants to beat! That guy used to be rossi but now its lorenzo!

Look at Nicky's podium in aragon, that was a double victory for Nicky, not only did he get his first podium in ages but he also beat the most dominant racer of the season over the line! Thats exactly what Rossi had to do here, it was exciting racing but he had to prove he was still capable of beating the best because to be the best thats what you have to do!

Also think how you feel after a 20 minute track session, these guys come in from the race of their life's and get a mic stuck in their faces, its not fair to judge someone by what they say at that moment!

Bobby

Didn't Formula 1 car racing just have a big bruhaha about team mates backing off and letting other team mates win (taking one for the team)? The officials said that was some kind of cheating. So, now, these MotoGP team mates are actually racing and that's a problem? Jeez!

I love Rossi, don't get me wrong, and I in no way think the racing was illegal (and I think Eslick is the biggest ----- ------- ------- I've ever seen in racing), but bumping Lorenzo wasn't cool. Although Lorenzo didn't need to take those risks, was frustrated and had every right to vent his frustrations.