Improving Laptimes

acebobby

OK as the title says I want to improve my times,

I am going to be riding almeria in spain again, now this is the only track I have ever been timed and I will be using a transponder again!

So I have a time to beat, is it reasonable to think that I can get on the pace and match my time from last year immediately and then progress to going faster, or is this the wrong way to approach the situation?

Bobby

OK as the title says I want to improve my times,

I am going to be riding almeria in spain again, now this is the only track I have ever been timed and I will be using a transponder again!

So I have a time to beat, is it reasonable to think that I can get on the pace and match my time from last year immediately and then progress to going faster, or is this the wrong way to approach the situation?

Bobby,

Hard to tell, as there are too many unknowns. However, I can say that I personally would not expect to immediately match or surpass my best laptime from the year before.

I can back that up with data, as I have a very similar case as yours: I rode Lausitzring for the first time during Easter 2009 and then again a year later, Easter 2010. My laptimes were not immediately better, but they were consistently better than they were a year before, over the days.

E.g. My laptimes on the morning of the first day of this year was quicker than the laptimes on the morning of the first day of the previous year, and so forth. So in the end I was around 4-5 seconds faster in 2010, than I was in 2009, but I wasn't faster straight away.

Hope this helps,

Kai

Good response. Are you going with the school or another track day? I only ask as we are pretty firm with our passing rules, and this can have an effect on and "outright" time.

CF

Good response. Are you going with the school or another track day? I only ask as we are pretty firm with our passing rules, and this can have an effect on and "outright" time.

CF

No its not with the school, with a different track organiser. It includes a few races and if like last year the standard of riders was very high, from BSB teams testing to moto 2 bikes testing, so I was amonst the slowest riders out there! I have my time sheets and track printouts with RP's I found last year so will refer to them! I will also be fitter, lighter and more flexible than last year which Im hoping will help too!

Bobby