Backing It In Is It The New Black?!

Guest IgnativsElvis

Guest IgnativsElvis

Hi Guys,

It's the big thing here in Europe and we have set up a Super moto School to cope with the demand to learn it however...

Is it the new skill needed to go fast? I say yes in slow, tight hairpins but no for the fast stuff. Just interested in your points of view :P

I think it used to be before the advent of great slipper clutches, but less and less these days. To be very quick however, you do have to be comfortable with the bike moving about underneath you and sliding of the turns when driving hard and shaking/pivoting around the headstock on the brakes. Backing it in very sideways is dramatic, but not essential for being quick on track.

My two penneth

Bullet

Here is a post from 2008 where Stuman explains alot about the pros and cons of backing it in!

http://forums.superbikeschool.com/index.php?showtopic=1276&hl=backing&st=0

Since that discussion I dont think its the fastest way around the track, but it looks great and if you watch the moto2 at Aragon they do some big backing it in manoeuvres!

Bobby

Definitely have seen footage of riders grouped together and one backing it and the other not. The shot I recall (don't recall the riders, but some top AMA guys) had one back it in, the other behind actually looked like he was gaining ground in the entry to the turn.

It could make one "wider" and harder to pass, but quicker around the track...I'll let you guys work on that one, see what you come up with.

CF

Simon does it with good success. It probably isn't slower or faster, just different. So if the rider likes it - perhaps it started out as fun and stuck because it didn't slow him - and it suits him, he can use it to good effect. There are many others who backs it in and are competitive, and some that do and are not. Just as with a regular riding style wink.gif

What about the style you see now in moto gp where they are so hard on the brakes that the back wheel is in the air right up until turn in, If you watch slow motion of Casey Stoner it looks like while his rear is in the air the he pivots slightly to swing the back end round 4 or 5 inches towards the outside then when his back tyre touches the ground he turns. I often wonder if its just coincidence or if Casey does it intentional but it looks like he is pointing the bike slightly before he turns!

Bobby