Hello From Oregon

Hello everyone,

I'm glad I found this forum and have learned quite a bit just from reading thru several of the topics posted in the techniques forums.

Although I've been riding for about 12yrs and have had a variety bikes (cruisers, sport-touring, and superbike), I can really use some formal instruction beyond the MSF course that I did w/my wife way back when we both started riding. I've never been on a track before and never considered it until I picked up the superbike. But at the same time, being 40yrs old w/kids, I have no illusion of being a racer or pushing the corner traction limits on a bike. I just want to be able to ride better—better meaning more intelligently (knowing what and why I am doing something) and confidently (how, where and when).

Hope to attend a one day class or a two-day camp this year.

Steve

Steve,

Welcome to the forum! I was in the same situation as you last year when I took the Level 1 class. It was the best money I'd spent on motorcycling. I had a blast and learned a ton, so much so that I took the Level 2 class the very next time CSS was at VIR. I was amazed at how much my riding improved and I can even tell you that the skills I learned in those two classes have literally saved my butt. I had a seriously close call on the street last October and without the skills I learned from CSS I have no doubt I would have been a statistic.

Enjoy the forum and don't be shy about asking questions.

Best,

Carey

Thanks guys! @ Carey---I think I read your reviews of both Level 1 & II in the BMW K forum...excellent write-ups, very informative, helps me to relate and know what to expect!

Ran the school idea by my wife and she thought it would be great and even asked me to check w/some of my riding buddies to see if any of them would want to attend with me. She thought that would be fun for me to hang out with some friends and get some good instruction in at the same time. So....I am looking at either a 1 day or a 2-day camp to see which I could best fit into my upcoming schedule (would require some travel for me coming from OR) and to see if any of my riding pals may want to go with me.

@Cobie---I've never been on a track before and was wondering if there was one on the schedule that you would recommend for starters, e.g. is Miller a "tougher" track to learn on than say Willow Springs or Las Vegas? Are there one or more tracks that are more technically difficult/challenging than others that you would advise against?

Thanks again for the help!

Thanks guys! @ Carey---I think I read your reviews of both Level 1 & II in the BMW K forum...excellent write-ups, very informative, helps me to relate and know what to expect!...

That would be me on the K-Bikes.com forum. I'm glad you enjoyed the write ups. I'm not much use when it comes to answering technical questions but I can share my opinion with the best on them! :D

@Cobie---I've never been on a track before and was wondering if there was one on the schedule that you would recommend for starters, e.g. is Miller a "tougher" track to learn on than say Willow Springs or Las Vegas? Are there one or more tracks that are more technically difficult/challenging than others that you would advise against?

Thanks again for the help!

Good track: we are a little fussy about the tracks we use, some we just won't go to, if dangerous or otherwise don't have what we want.

Miller is a nice track, and more fun on the 1000's than the 600's due to the altitude. Streets of Willow Springs is one of my favorites, particularly for first timers. I've mentioned this elsewhere, but briefly: good weather more days than any other track, nice challenging track, but not too big, not too fast. Good elevations changes which I like, and also works the visual skills. Good combinations of turns which requires you to put the skills together. Excellent access for the coaches, and what that means is you get very good service. Excellent skid pad, really lets us do our job with the Lean bike and other trainign bikes.

That's the short version, let me know any questions about any track, you are also welcome to call me in the office, though I'm only in Tuesday of this week, then back the following Monday.

Best,

Cobie

Thanks for the insights Cobie. I went to pull the trigger, but shot a dud---I called CSS office to register but both the 2 day camps in April at Willow AND Las Vegas were both full-up! Bummer, guess I was too slow! :(

I am now looking at other possible dates that may fit w/my work/family schedule. I really would like to do a 2-day camp, preferably Willow or LV due to proximity/easy flights from Oregon. How hot is it in the Cali desert at Willow in mid-June? Would it be distractingly hot? I may have to settle for a one day session; your office said the one day classes in April at Willow had availability. Decisions...Decisions...

Steve

Hi shwejw,

Welcome to the forum.

You could do what I did. I signed up for both Level 1 and 2 at Willow, back to back 1 day sessions.

Still get to enjoy the BMW 1000rr bike from the CSS and this will also be my first time on a track - ahem, I mean, I am looking forward to gain the same things you mentioned.

So, maybe I'll see you in April at Willow (doing two 1 day sessions). :ph34r:

PS; What superbike did you get? And from where in Oregon are you?

I live in the Monterey Bay Area in California.

Ride Safe!

KawaKlaus

Thanks for the insights Cobie. I went to pull the trigger, but shot a dud---I called CSS office to register but both the 2 day camps in April at Willow AND Las Vegas were both full-up! Bummer, guess I was too slow! :(

I am now looking at other possible dates that may fit w/my work/family schedule. I really would like to do a 2-day camp, preferably Willow or LV due to proximity/easy flights from Oregon. How hot is it in the Cali desert at Willow in mid-June? Would it be distractingly hot? I may have to settle for a one day session; your office said the one day classes in April at Willow had availability. Decisions...Decisions...

Steve

Archived