Suspension Question For Will

I tried setting the rider sag for my bike a 2008 r6 the problem is i have the front and rear preload maxed out and i am sitting at 34mm in the from and 39mm in the rear. Would raising the forks help and if so how much should i raise them. I ride mostly street right now would like to do more track time when possible. I am about 180lbs with stock springs any help would be great. I dont know if there is any suspension places in the philadelphia are if any one knows of any please let me know. Thanks in advance for your help.

I tried setting the rider sag for my bike a 2008 r6 the problem is i have the front and rear preload maxed out and i am sitting at 34mm in the from and 39mm in the rear. Would raising the forks help and if so how much should i raise them. I ride mostly street right now would like to do more track time when possible. I am about 180lbs with stock springs any help would be great. I dont know if there is any suspension places in the philadelphia are if any one knows of any please let me know. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi joey

Are you bottoming out the suspension in front and rear? - if not, you may be trying to solve a non-issue.

Raising the forks will only change the ride height and somewhat shift the weight distribution front/rear, so this should not help you.

Since you're maxing out the preload front and rear, the obvious thing is to change the spring rates. Have you tried the spring rate tool on RaceTech's webpage (choose Search -> Spring Rate Search -> Street/Yamaha/YZF-R6/08-10)?

According to racetech's page, the stock .90kg/mm is right on the money for your 180lbs on the street, but 0.95kg/mm springs are recommended for track use, so something else could be amiss. Have you tried measuring the stiction in the front, using Racetech's method? Is the front straight and good - ever thrown the bike down the road?

Regards

Kai

Hi joey

Are you bottoming out the suspension in front and rear? - if not, you may be trying to solve a non-issue.

Raising the forks will only change the ride height and somewhat shift the weight distribution front/rear, so this should not help you.

Since you're maxing out the preload front and rear, the obvious thing is to change the spring rates. Have you tried the spring rate tool on RaceTech's webpage (choose Search -> Spring Rate Search -> Street/Yamaha/YZF-R6/08-10)?

According to racetech's page, the stock .90kg/mm is right on the money for your 180lbs on the street, but 0.95kg/mm springs are recommended for track use, so something else could be amiss. Have you tried measuring the stiction in the front, using Racetech's method? Is the front straight and good - ever thrown the bike down the road?

Regards

Kai

No not bottoming out the suspension. Did check out Racetech's spring rate tool and the stock was basically dead on for my weight. Did crash my last track day not to bad just a small low side didn't see any obvious damage to the forks. The one thing i did think of last night after the post was when i was trying to set the sag the fork oil was cold its been cold here in Philadelphia lately not sure if this matters too much. This is also the first time i tried messing with the suspension so i also might be doing something wrong but i did do a lot of reading before i started. Maybe i will just fork out the money and have a shop help me out i was trying to save some money or maybe i am just making a problem out of nothing.

Youtube has alot of great video's about setting up your sag. So does TOTW2 video. Dave Moss video's about suspension are the best. Check them out and decide for yourself. Good luck

Aaron

Hi joey

Regards

Kai

No not bottoming out the suspension. Did check out Racetech's spring rate tool and the stock was basically dead on for my weight. Did crash my last track day not to bad just a small low side didn't see any obvious damage to the forks. The one thing i did think of last night after the post was when i was trying to set the sag the fork oil was cold its been cold here in Philadelphia lately not sure if this matters too much. This is also the first time i tried messing with the suspension so i also might be doing something wrong but i did do a lot of reading before i started. Maybe i will just fork out the money and have a shop help me out i was trying to save some money or maybe i am just making a problem out of nothing.

While there are a lot of good videos out there for setting sag you have the data you need already. If the spring rates are close and you can't get the sag at least in the fork you will need to put more preload spacer in. If you are at 34 with the preload all the way in and the adjuster has 15mm of travel then another 10mm of spacer would get you back into the adjustment range.

The rear could be a little more tricky depending on the type of shock and adjuster but the same in principle.

Thanks for the responses i appreciate all of your replies. I think I am going to look into preload spacers like will suggested. Any one know any good suspension places in the Philadelphia area?

Let us know if you do or don't get this sorted out, and if we need to we can move this to Will's section (ask the chief).

CF

Archived