Hi From Oz

Hello all,

Name is Pete from Victoria, Australia. Been off the bike for a while but looking at get back on. Looking at a GSX-R750 around the K8 model. Just trying to find one for the right price. Then i can sort out a school day and start doing track days. Look forward to getting to know everyone and listening to all the advice from you all.

Cheers

Pete :)

Hello all,

Name is Pete from Victoria, Australia. Been off the bike for a while but looking at get back on. Looking at a GSX-R750 around the K8 model. Just trying to find one for the right price. Then i can sort out a school day and start doing track days. Look forward to getting to know everyone and listening to all the advice from you all.

Cheers

Pete :)

Hi Pete,

Welcome to the forum! I had a GSX-R750 myself many moons ago, back in the early 90's when I was in college. Ah, the world was a simpler place back then...;)

I think you'll find the school is a great way to introduce yourself to the track and you will find a ton of good information (and a few amusing stories) here. Jump right in, the water's fine.

And good luck finding your Gixxer.

Best,

Carey

G'day Pete, and welcome.

Great choice in bike, but finding one at a bargain will be a challenge. As there's no race class for them there's not so many 750cc's around, and when they do come up for sale they're in high demand.

Thanks for the welcome,

Your right, finding a 750 is proving to be harder than I thought. Wondering if I should drop down to a 600. What do you guys think??? :unsure:

Cheers

Pete

Pete,

For what it's worth, I've had both and I have to say...it depends (great answer right?:blink:). What are you looking for, a dedicated track bike or a street rider as well? And if it's a track bike are you going to race? I understand the 600 classes are real meat grinders with very full fields.

You might also want to consider which fits you physically. I'm a fairly big guy (6' and 230) so I preferred the 750 but just a bit. it was slightly bigger so it was more comfortable. My last 6oo was an R6 and it just seemed small for my frame, probably fine for the track but not on the street (for me).

So there are a few random thoughts from somebody you should probably not listen to (my sanity has been questioned on more than one occasion :P). Best of luck with your search.

Best,

Carey

Carey's questions are very valid.

When I decided to get into track riding seriously I was faced with the same question, and unless you are physically too large to fit into a 600 comfortably then I would say yes, get yourself a 600. It's an ideal motorcycle to learn to ride on track with. It will teach you to carry good corner speed, the lower power means you're less likely to get into trouble (but you still can) and on most tracks they're just as fast as the larger bikes. There are lots of track punters who have switched from a 1000 to a 600 and have improved their riding as a result.

Plus there's plenty of them around, particularly if you're after a dedicated track bike; you can buy one that someone else has already set up, at great value (have a look at the formula extreme website).

Pete,

For what it's worth, I've had both and I have to say...it depends (great answer right?:blink:). What are you looking for, a dedicated track bike or a street rider as well? And if it's a track bike are you going to race? I understand the 600 classes are real meat grinders with very full fields.

You might also want to consider which fits you physically. I'm a fairly big guy (6' and 230) so I preferred the 750 but just a bit. it was slightly bigger so it was more comfortable. My last 6oo was an R6 and it just seemed small for my frame, probably fine for the track but not on the street (for me).

So there are a few random thoughts from somebody you should probably not listen to (my sanity has been questioned on more than one occasion :P). Best of luck with your search.

Best,

Carey

Carey,

At this stage I'm looking at a all round bike. Mainly street riding with as many track days as the wallet can fund. I'm 181cm tall and about 75kg's. I've seen the R6 as well. Might go and give all three a ride and see what feels good.

Cheers

Pete

Carey's questions are very valid.

When I decided to get into track riding seriously I was faced with the same question, and unless you are physically too large to fit into a 600 comfortably then I would say yes, get yourself a 600. It's an ideal motorcycle to learn to ride on track with. It will teach you to carry good corner speed, the lower power means you're less likely to get into trouble (but you still can) and on most tracks they're just as fast as the larger bikes. There are lots of track punters who have switched from a 1000 to a 600 and have improved their riding as a result.

Plus there's plenty of them around, particularly if you're after a dedicated track bike; you can buy one that someone else has already set up, at great value (have a look at the formula extreme website).

Julian,

Thanks for the advice, will keep that in mind.

Cheers

Pete

Archived