Running Wide When Off Throttle Mid Turn

bond_yzf

Just to clear something up explain what is happening to cause the bike to stand up and run wide when you shut the throttle off mid turn

is it a case of : lean angle and speed are the elements that combat "pushing to the outside of the turn forces" and when speed and lean angle decreases the "forces become greater"

i know coming off the throttle transfers weight to the front tyre overloading it and deforming the contact patch to its limit ie, pushing the front end but was wondering what other scientific reasons there are ?

If you'r going wide because of throttle off, I would guess you'r going wide becuase 1. In too fast and 2. Bad line going in. Some times I go a little to hot into a curve, I hook turn and carefully stop on the throttle for a second. That gets me back on line. So I

can't see why you go all outwide exclusively because of cutting the throttle.

No this isn't a problem I'm having I'm looking for the science behind why the bike stands up and runs wide

When throttle is closed, weight transfers forward, increases load on front, which increases contact patch, increasing drag towards inside of tyre, which then countersteers the bike back up.

I think that that is it...

No this isn't a problem I'm having I'm looking for the science behind why the bike stands up and runs wide

When throttle is closed, weight transfers forward, increases load on front, which increases contact patch, increasing drag towards inside of tyre, which then countersteers the bike back up.

I started to try to type an answer to your question but I found myself wanting to draw pictures or at least wave my hands around to illustrate it better. :) It's hard to get a clear explanation across just by typing words!

So I'll just say this... if you have or can get a copy of the Twist II DVD, it has the best explanation / illustration of this EVER. It is a computer generated animation that actually shows you the contact patch and what happens to the tire and how that affects the bike. For me it was the biggest AHA!! moment in the DVD and for the first time I felt completely sure that I understood it totally. There's TONS of other good stuff in the DVD but getting a complete understanding of this concept, for me, was easily worth the price of the video.

I started to try to type an answer to your question but I found myself wanting to draw pictures or at least wave my hands around to illustrate it better. :) It's hard to get a clear explanation across just by typing words!

So I'll just say this... if you have or can get a copy of the Twist II DVD, it has the best explanation / illustration of this EVER. It is a computer generated animation that actually shows you the contact patch and what happens to the tire and how that affects the bike. For me it was the biggest AHA!! moment in the DVD and for the first time I felt completely sure that I understood it totally. There's TONS of other good stuff in the DVD but getting a complete understanding of this concept, for me, was easily worth the price of the video.

I have TOTWII running in the background right now... That particular segment - right at the 27 minute mark - does a fantastic job of illustrating the point.

Here's a fun drill, which you may have done before anyway. Go out and try to do it wrong (in a safe location, at safe speeds) and see what happens. Then do it correctly and compare. It makes for a very interesting experience.

Archived