My Findings On The S1000Rr Riding Modes

Just a quick post, for my first TD this year and my first day at CSS in April, I stuck to the Sport mode for the day, I felt I was pretty smooth throughout the day and the bike felt nice and predictable.

After this, I decided I'd ride round in Race mode, spent plenty of time on the road like this and also did my 2nd CSS day in that mode, didn't feel like I was quite as smooth and as mentioned in earlier posts, was a bit ragged at times.

I put it down to various other things, until the other day when it had been raining a bit and was still drying in places when I went to ride my bike, I stuck it back into Sport mode and even in those conditions, felt much smoother through the corners and was quicker there than I'd been on the driest, grippiest day using Race mode. I've just ridden into work and believe that the simple act of keeping it in Sport mode makes my throttle control a lot better.

It could be that it's just because it's less aggressive, or it could be psychological, but I'd be interested to hear from those of you, especially the coaches in the 'States who ride one, what you think about the various modes, likewise anyone with the new ZX-10R or the Aprilia with a similar set of options.

I know if I said the same thing on the S1000RR boards, I'd get a bunch of people telling me all they do is ride it in slick mode, but I wonder just how much of that is bravado.

Just a quick post, for my first TD this year and my first day at CSS in April, I stuck to the Sport mode for the day, I felt I was pretty smooth throughout the day and the bike felt nice and predictable.

After this, I decided I'd ride round in Race mode, spent plenty of time on the road like this and also did my 2nd CSS day in that mode, didn't feel like I was quite as smooth and as mentioned in earlier posts, was a bit ragged at times.

I put it down to various other things, until the other day when it had been raining a bit and was still drying in places when I went to ride my bike, I stuck it back into Sport mode and even in those conditions, felt much smoother through the corners and was quicker there than I'd been on the driest, grippiest day using Race mode. I've just ridden into work and believe that the simple act of keeping it in Sport mode makes my throttle control a lot better.

It could be that it's just because it's less aggressive, or it could be psychological, but I'd be interested to hear from those of you, especially the coaches in the 'States who ride one, what you think about the various modes, likewise anyone with the new ZX-10R or the Aprilia with a similar set of options.

I know if I said the same thing on the S1000RR boards, I'd get a bunch of people telling me all they do is ride it in slick mode, but I wonder just how much of that is bravado.

I agree with you. I like it better in Sport mode, too. The initial roll on is smoother. I've tried Race mode, and ridden in Race for as much as half a day at at time (on the track), but I end up going back to Sport because, as you said, it makes smooth throttle application a lot easier. Any acceleration advantage I might get from Race mode (and honestly, I haven't noticed much difference) is overcome by the slight jerk I get in the corner when I crack the throttle on. I can make it smooth, but it takes more attention to achieve it than I want to have to spend on it, and if I am distracted by something - like passing another rider - I often get that unwelcome rough roll-on.

Interestingly, Will (who is FAST FAST FAST) told me he likes it better in Sport mode, too.

I haven't tried Race mode on the street yet at all, it hadn't occurred to me, but I'll give it a whirl and let you know what happens - but I expect I'll find the same thing you did.

Future plans include a full exhaust and Power Commander, it will be interesting to see if the Power Commander and custom mapping makes the Race mode roll-on a little smoother.

Probably bravado or ignorance. I suspect their comments likely would be accompanied by this too, "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am." ;)

I don't have an S1000RR so I can't add anything substantial to the discussion, but I am watching with great interest :)

It does require a clean transition from off to on throttle, have to be gentle with it.

CF

Like was said nothing a power commander and a decent fuelling map wouldnt fix,trust me I know I ride an rc8 and snatchy throttle responses are free of charge with it lol

We're going off-topic a bit, but I read KTM updated the ECU map again and now has the fueling well-sorted; thus eliminating the abrupt throttle response. Perhaps this might help you, assuming you haven't already modified the bike to correct the problem.

The ecu was remapped on the newer models but it didn't completely resolve it a lot of people fit a smaller front sprocket and a different throttle cam but my view is it's a big v-twin it's Gunna be snatchy compared to an inline 4 and I think it adds character lol

Archived