Ducati Diavel

Hi

I had the chance to ride a Ducati Diavel last weekend and understand that at a recent Ducati event at Silverstone the CSS instructors were leading groups around the circuit on these things.

Got to say I was surprised and delighted with how the thing went on the road and had this mad idea that the Diavel might go quite well in the wet.

What were the instructors impressions?

I'm not an instructor, and I haven't ridden the Diavel, but I did sit on it and found the ergonimcs spot on for me. I would LOVE one of these for my one-up bike! I liked it so much, I'm having a character in a novel ride one. Some of the reviewers have said they can go FASTER on this than a street racer Ducatti--probably because they can SEE better with the more upright power cruiser seating. You buying one? You offering rides? :P

I ride a GTR1400 on the road which is 50,000 and four years old so I am starting to look at replacement bikes.

I had thought to buy a VFR1200 and probably still will but i really like the looks and the idea of the Diavel plus I loved riding it.

I imagine the Diavel would be a better bike than an 1198 on the road. IMO the 1198 is not a good road bike at all and belongs on the track which is the only place it makes sense.

I only rode the Diavel on country roads but it handled well and tipped in quickly, once you got used the the idea of bracing the outside leg and pulling the outside bar rather than pushing the inside bar, the grunt out of corners was superb and even the mirrors worked well!

I would buy one but it needs the Termignoni cans and the touring windshield.

What I would like is to get the instructors impressions from riding on track at Silverstone. I understand one instructor threw the bike away through decking it out too hard?

• 1 month later...

Hey, sorry for the delay in replying, been a bit busy over here!

I rode the Diavel at Silverstone and can truthfully tell you that it is too good! Everything about it is top spec. The engine is nothing short of astonishing. The brakes are incredible. The tyres, despite having the over-sized rear, give an easy turn-in and fantastic grip. It holds a tight line and is rock solid stable, even pinned down the Hangar Straight. The suspension is so controlled and wonderfully compliant. It cruises with comfort yet begs you to ride it like a sports bike. And that, believe it or not, is why I fell off it. It is too good. A bike like this should have soft and squishy suspension, wooden brakes, grip-less tyres and give you plenty of warning before you get anywhere near what could be considered a limit. Not this one, everything feels so good that it tricked me into forgetting it was a 'cruiser' and only reminded me when the exhaust decked out and lifted the rear wheel off the ground! If you get a chance to ride one, do it. Just remember that the hero blobs on the footrests are there for a reason!

• 1 month later...

I'm not an instructor, and I haven't ridden the Diavel, but I did sit on it and found the ergonimcs spot on for me. I would LOVE one of these for my one-up bike! I liked it so much, I'm having a character in a novel ride one. Some of the reviewers have said they can go FASTER on this than a street racer Ducatti--probably because they can SEE better with the more upright power cruiser seating. You buying one? You offering rides? :P

The Diavel seems like a really fun bike... does everyone realise that it actually goes and stops faster that Ducati's own 1198??? blink.gif

That is straight from the Ducati marketing department... makes you think, eh?

If you're interested to see what happens when someone does race a Diavel...

tumblr_lms166a4Gc1qdjz2ho1_500.jpg

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2011/06/this-is-what-happens-when-you-try-to-road-race-a-diavel/

Judging from the look of that photo above you must have really been hooking to deck out that exhaust, Spidey!

1324142928[/url]' post='25566']

Well, I was trying a bit ;)

Great pic Spidey! I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up seeing you in the marketing material coming out of Bologna biggrin.gif.

• 1 month later...

Archived