And Down They Go

faffi

What about the sudden falls we see a few times every season, when the very best riders in the world lose the front end going rather slowly and invariably fail to understand why. What do you think is the cause of this? Cold tyres? Surely, even cold tyres should not be that slippery? Or?

What about the sudden falls we see a few times every season, when the very best riders in the world lose the front end going rather slowly and invariably fail to understand why. What do you think is the cause of this? Cold tyres? Surely, even cold tyres should not be that slippery? Or?

A few years back when Lorenzo high sided, he was adding throttle and lean angle. I heard from one of my coaches, that is what Rossi did when he got injured too, but didn't see that footage.

That's the quickest way to have a good situation go bad so fast, can't recover.

CF

For racers I would say:

1.) Cold Tires and cold track

2.) Cold Tires and a handful of brake

3.) Cold Tires and damp track

4.) Cold Tires and dirty track

5.) Cold Tires and suspension issue

I still find it strange that riders like Rossi (also on the Yamaha) and Pedrosa and others experience washed out front ends while going slow, and usually they fail to understand why it happened under these conditions.

The most advanced motorcycle telemetry ever made and they don't know? The most advanced riders in the world that have more feel for whats going on than any rider on the planet and they don't know? Could you post an example please?

My memory is poor and I cannot say exactly when and where, but it's been on TV many times; riders just tipping it in at speeds that wouldn't be all that fast even on the road only to suddenly find themselves sliding along on the tarmac. Here are, however, 3 race quotes:

Capirossi, Le Mans 2010: I leaned in and just lost the front, I don’t know why it happened and this is the third time I’ve crashed on the front.

Hayden, Brno 2010: I just lost the front quite early on entry, I don't know why. I know people always says 'I did nothing different!' but honestly, even looking at the data, the brake pressure and speed was the same as my previous runs.

Pedrosa, Brno 2011: "I may have tilted the bike too much, maybe the tyre was not warm enough, still I don't know"

A few years back when Lorenzo high sided, he was adding throttle and lean angle. I heard from one of my coaches, that is what Rossi did when he got injured too, but didn't see that footage.

CF

Check out Fastest. It explains what happened, and it's a good video. It was cold tires.

Yeah, speed for sure isn't the issue when we see guys adding throttle and lean angle. Often riders are braver in slower turns too!

CF

Archived