Hello!

Hi all,

I have gleaned a lot of practical information from this forum so decided I would finally say HI..and thank you.

My name is Steven, live in Johannesburg, South Africa and Im a trackday junkie.

I have been doing trackdays for about 8months now and thoroughly hooked. I love the factual and practical pointers found here though I have not

attended CSS as yet. I was planning but unfortunately was not able to make the CSS days in October this year as I had to earn a salary to fund other habits, like eating :)

2012 should be on the cards though.

My weapon of choice is a RR7 Fireblade and pretty competent in wielding it.

Hi all,

I have gleaned a lot of practical information from this forum so decided I would finally say HI..and thank you.

My name is Steven, live in Johannesburg, South Africa and Im a trackday junkie.

I have been doing trackdays for about 8months now and thoroughly hooked. I love the factual and practical pointers found here though I have not

attended CSS as yet. I was planning but unfortunately was not able to make the CSS days in October this year as I had to earn a salary to fund other habits, like eating :)

2012 should be on the cards though.

My weapon of choice is a RR7 Fireblade and pretty competent in wielding it.

Welcome!! Happy to have you here! Glad you've found the forum useful and we look forward to hearing more from you. :)

Welcome to the forum Steven! I have to admit South Africa is on my bucket list. I want to do a cage dive with Great Whites one day. Sadly my dive buddy thinks I'm cracked and refuses to go along…something about not wanting to give up his "Apex predator" status. :o

So what are you wanting to work on with your track riding? Any specific area's of concern or desire to improve? The folks around here can offer a ton of great advice (not me mind you, I'm just here for the free milk and cookies :D ).

Don't be afraid to jump in, it's always nice to have a new face in the room.

Best,

Carey

Thanks for the welcome guys..

Welcome, Stylo. How to you like that Fireblade?

I love it. down on the top end rush of the newer bikes but trumps them out of slow to mid speed corners. Sublime handling and feel.

I was a tad worried I was outdated after all the media hype with the newer litre bikes. After testing the likes of the new ZX, my "old and boring" Blade has better feel, which makes it easier to ride and ride quick.

a Big Plus for learning throttle control too.

Welcome to the forum Steven! I have to admit South Africa is on my bucket list. I want to do a cage dive with Great Whites one day. Sadly my dive buddy thinks I'm cracked and refuses to go along…something about not wanting to give up his "Apex predator" status. :o

So what are you wanting to work on with your track riding? Any specific area's of concern or desire to improve? The folks around here can offer a ton of great advice (not me mind you, I'm just here for the free milk and cookies :D ).

Don't be afraid to jump in, it's always nice to have a new face in the room.

Best,

Carey

How about I toss free milk and cookies into the shark cage? its a win win situation ;)

The track I love to ride has a lot of double apexes. I dont enter early, but perhaps not late enough. Im sure Im leaned over a little too long.

Have to work at perhaps squaring off more? Probably should post this as/in another topic.

Welcome steve, and glad you came out of the closet!

Best,

Cobie

... erm. thanks... I dont know how to deal with that statement Cobie LOL

Welcome. 8 months? Looks like you've really been working at it, judging on that photo.

Hi Jasonzilla. That would be correct 8 months or around 11/12 trackdays. :D

Its one of lifes little achievements I am very proud of.

Previously I was just a street rider with test ride laps on various tracks but Im almost exclusively track now though I havent yet converted

my pretty girl to full track princess.

Im also very sceptical, hence I really found the information on this forum, as opposed to the myriad others, very helpful as to practical application.

The key was to knowing there is no quickfix. Get out there and ride was my philosophy.

"Dont blame the bike, dont blame the tyres, they are more talented than I am."

Using photos and video of myself, applying the basics. Filled the gaps by reading TOTW1-2 and Performance riding techniques

enabling me to ask questions about issues I didnt know there were questions to. Then filter out the BS and that that doesnt make sense to me.

I wish I could have dont this earlier in my life but it wasnt possible.

As most kids Ive dreamed of racing and now I have been approved for my regional racing licence and next year I will have my first official race.

Ive still a lot to learn, My besttime set at a comfortable pace, at my fave track with my mostly stock CBR with stock gearing, is still 15.5s off the outright lap record set my our top national guys.

About 8s slower than the lap record in the class I will race in.

Sheewww..

Verbal diarrhoea!!

Pic of my fave track

post-22512-0-48834100-1324628713_thumb.jpg

65kms east of Johannesburg. in the middle of nowhere. never thought it would be so popular because of location but I suppose "if you build it, they will come" :D

Track is called Red Star Raceway, built by a biker for bikes only.

Nice and technical and is run in both directions.

As you can see, lack of landmarks(grandstands, buildings etc) make it an interesting track to learn. Amusing to see or hear of 1st timers "getting lost".

Archived