Laguna Seca Or Streets Of Willow

I am looking to take my first round of classes from CSS. I live in California and would prefer California tracks. I used to race AFM and WSMC in the 1990's. I took at 10 break on street bikes (was riding dirt) and now I am back in the saddle. I used to the study the Twist book and video so I am familiar with the core concepts. I have raced Willow Springs (the big track), Button Willow, Thunderhill, and my absolute favorite Infineon/Sears Point.

I really wanted to take the 2-day Laguna Seca class on July 5-6, but its completely booked. I am like 28th on the waiting list. I have never ridden Laguna and always wanted to. The next class for Laguna is in October. Thats a long way out.

Streets of Willow has classes in September, and they have 4 classes days in a row. Its tempting to book 4 days in a row and go to Streets of Willow. Though, my biggest hurdle there is that I don't remember Streets of Willow being a highly regarded track. I have never ridden it, but I remember people talking it down in the Willow Springs Motorcycle Club.

• Has anyone here attended both Laguna Seca and Streets of Willow Springs classes?
  • How would you contrast the two?
  • Any thoughts?
  • What do you recommend?

Thanks!

I am looking to take my first round of classes from CSS. I live in California and would prefer California tracks. I used to race AFM and WSMC in the 1990's. I took at 10 break on street bikes (was riding dirt) and now I am back in the saddle. I used to the study the Twist book and video so I am familiar with the core concepts. I have raced Willow Springs (the big track), Button Willow, Thunderhill, and my absolute favorite Infineon/Sears Point.

I really wanted to take the 2-day Laguna Seca class on July 5-6, but its completely booked. I am like 28th on the waiting list. I have never ridden Laguna and always wanted to. The next class for Laguna is in October. Thats a long way out.

Streets of Willow has classes in September, and they have 4 classes days in a row. Its tempting to book 4 days in a row and go to Streets of Willow. Though, my biggest hurdle there is that I don't remember Streets of Willow being a highly regarded track. I have never ridden it, but I remember people talking it down in the Willow Springs Motorcycle Club.

• Has anyone here attended both Laguna Seca and Streets of Willow Springs classes?
  • How would you contrast the two?
  • Any thoughts?
  • What do you recommend?

Thanks!

CCR;

I have attended the Superbike School at Laguna, Sears and the Streets multiple times. While the Streets may not have the cache of Laguna or Sears, it is a great track for School. The course is shorter, you get more laps per session and it is very technical. More of the corners are linked so you need to be more precise IMHO. I also believe that you will get more of what your paying for because of these features. Hopefully more Members will chime in here.

BTW, welcome to the Forum!

Rainman

Streets of Willow also does not have the noise restrictions that Laguna has, and due to other logistics you can get a bit more time with your coach at Streets. Laguna is prettier, and more well-known, and has the corkscrew which is a fun thing to ride, but for overall training benefit it is hard to beat Streets of Willow.

I would reckon that the reasons for which some racers would talk down on the Streets are in fact the very same ones that make it such a good place to take CSS, I'd venture to guess there's no better place to learn good technique then on a technical track laugh.gif

I have no direct experience with the California tracks however one of the guys I rode with at VIR last month echoed Rainman and Hotfoot's sentiments exactly. He felt SOW was the best training track of the three. I remember reading that Keith had a hand in the development of the current layout (with an eye toward the training value no doubt) so that alone makes me put it at the top of the list.

Although It would be fun to ride the Corkscrew, I'd do that one as a track day. If you are doing a school a "technical" track will give you more ROI.

But to quote Dennis Miller, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. :)

Your question - and the answers are very much the same as when we discussed the Silverstone UK layouts back in December, and there the sentiment was the same: the "optimum" track layout from a cornering learning perspective is different from the "general trackday" perspective.

For the same reason, I've signed up to Willow rather than Laguna Seca, despite the fact that being able to say that "yes, I've ridden the corkscrew" is sooooooo much cooler than saying you've been riding SoW or Big Willows (and I will be flying in from China...).

Kai

Your question - and the answers are very much the same as when we discussed the Silverstone UK layouts back in December, and there the sentiment was the same: the "optimum" track layout from a cornering learning perspective is different from the "general trackday" perspective.

For the same reason, I've signed up to Willow rather than Laguna Seca, despite the fact that being able to say that "yes, I've ridden the corkscrew" is sooooooo much cooler than saying you've been riding SoW or Big Willows (and I will be flying in from China...).

Kai

Thanks everyone for the advice and feedback. I just signed up for 4 days in a row at Streets of Willow Springs. September 15,16,17/18. I will hopefully be able to sleep in my RV at the track because I will need a lot of rest. I have done 4 track days in a row before back when I used to race (a few times actually), and I know I will be pretty damn tired. :) Lots of water and salt! :)

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I recall, the genesis of Streets of Willow was to provide a "training" track to hone skills and confidence levels before venturing onto Big Willow, which can be a very intimidating track. Back when I started running at Willow, there was no Streets, thus no option. But 'Streets' is fun, and safe, and it's very good track to be trained at. But everyone who has ever dreamed of Laguna needs to experience that track. I don't find it intimidating at all, and that's where I did my second track day ever, on a BMW Boxer. I was a complete greenhorn, very apprehensive .... but by the end of the day I was dragging my knees and scraping my valve-covers. Damn, I was good! ;) After which I went home and built a dedicated track bike, based upon a GSXR 750. I was hooked! Just sold my R1 and got a BMW S1000RR. What an awesome bike!

post-23535-0-89369000-1340064595_thumb.jpg