World Class Racing

Does anyone else marvel at five out of six manufacturers vying for wins at every SBK round?

Five of the six manufacturers in the series have been on the podium this year. In alphabetical order they are:

• Aprilia
  • BMW
  • Ducati
  • Honda
  • Kawasaki

If Tom Sykes ever learns how to "save" his tires, he will win for Kawasaki making it five different factories winning races this year. Suzuki appears to be the only manufacturer still trying to find its footing and Yamaha decided not to compete but five out of six manufacturers who commited to SBK putting riders on the box is really impressive to me at least. I can't think of another series that has such keen competition between factories than SBK this year.

That said, you can keep MotoGP in 2012. With Lorenzo apparently wanting it more than Stoner and no one else (so far) able to match and maintain their pace, it's a foregone conclusion that it's Lorenzo/Yamaha's to lose in that series, but what do what do the rest of you think?

Rainman

I'm with you Rainman. SBK has been the best series by far this year for me. And Sikes and his Kawa are remimding me of the BMWs last year. Do you think it's an issue with the TC mapping (as reported by some as the issue with the BMWs) or is it Sikes himself needing to learn how to put the power down on that bike?

And I had the same thought about Stoner not having all of his heart in it. Considering he said that he no longer enjoys MotoGP, and the fact that he is a new father, it would be easy to see him losing a bit of that competitive edge. I hope I am wrong though. I am not a Lorenzo fan (all due respect to his talent) and it would seem that Stoner is the only one with a chance of keeping him from winning the championship this year.

Of course if Rossi ends up at Honda next year that could make for a few interesting battles in the premier class. On the right bike does the old GOAT have the gas for another title in his tank?

Of course if Rossi ends up at Honda next year that could make for a few interesting battles in the premier class. On the right bike does the old GOAT have the gas for another title in his tank?

Boy I hope so; Eirik posted the clip from the last three laps at Catalunya from the 2009 race (his last world title) and it reminded me of how much excitement he brought to the series when he was on a competitive bike. It would be great to see him win again.

Boy I hope so; Eirik posted the clip from the last three laps at Catalunya from the 2009 race (his last world title) and it reminded me of how much excitement he brought to the series when he was on a competitivie bike. It would be great to see him win again.

That was an awesome race finish (and a good find by Eirik - loved the comentary on that clip). The announcers were discussing it a few weeks ago when MotoGP was at Catalunya and I was think how much fun it would be to have those kinds of battles for the win again!

Yamaha's production R1 is far from competitive in SBK

Hayes Lap times at Miller would tend to disagree with that statement

I do find it rather puzzling that the two Brands who dominate in AMA Superbike are non existent in WSBK and the Brands who dominate there are non existent in AMA