Laguna Seca July 5-6

The Laguna Seca camp is almost here! Will you be going, or if you've ridden there what was your impression?

-What hotel do you plan to stay at? It would be great to be in the same hotel as other students for some dinner time discussions.

-Is it true that the slide bike can't be used?

-Do you expect it to be hot and over 100F or ocean-breeze cool?

I've attended CSS levels 1 and 2 at Streets of Willow, but couldn't resist the dream of riding at Laguna Seca because of its history. I'll be in levels 3 and 4. See you there!

Vince.

Hey Vince,

Sadly (for me) I will not be there. Wish I could be, riding Laguna Seca is on the bucket list.

As for where most students stay, you might try giving the office a call (800-530-3350). They should have an idea which hotel is most popular with the students (and can verify which off track bikes are available). I do my CSS classes at VIR and like to stay at the track for the same reason you mentioned. There is only one place to eat within about 15 miles and it's also at the track so it's pretty easy to find other students. In May we ended up with eight people at the table for dinner and most of us had never met before. I swear I haven't laughed that hard in years, I was a bit worried they were going to ask us to leave :lol: . If you don't happen to hook up with anyone the night before just get to the track a few minutes early. In my experience most people are headed to CSS alone and arte keen to find someone to share the experience with. It's a big part of the reason I wish more people discovered this forum before they attend a class.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. I want to hear how you feel going around the Corkscrew for the first time!

Best,

Carey

There isn't too much really close and around LS and I don't believe that there is any lodging on track. You generally go toward one or two (possibly more/further during MotoGP) - areas. . . If you prefer to go cheaper - you head toward Salina. If you don't mind paying a bit more, around Monterey, and if want to pay a bit more then stay in Monterey. Monterey is a nice small seaside town, lots of bars/restaurants, etc. . . Hear the seals in the morning/evening, etc. You could also go a bit further and stay in Carmel - another gorgeous small quaint town that has lots of small shops (you won't have time to visit), bars, and restaurants.

I have no idea where CSS stays when they are in LS. I do know that they don't stay on track at VIR when they go there which makes no sense at all to me. They could easily lock up the paddock area or a floor at the Lodge and it would be a lot more convenient but they choose to stay in Danville (18 miles away). Maybe its cost, maybe its because they want a few more facilities available to them. Who knows, but to me thats kind of crazy :-).

I want to hear how you feel going around the Corkscrew for the first time!

Carey;

As you know, the first time through will be on the sighting laps; the first time on his own - well you know the first drill.

After the first session however, it happens so fast that your though it before you know it and then your busy setting up for Rainey that it isn't until you're exiting Rainey that you can think about it. YRMV.

Rain

There isn't too much really close and around LS and I don't believe that there is any lodging on track. You generally go toward one or two (possibly more/further during MotoGP) - areas. . . If you prefer to go cheaper - you head toward Salina. If you don't mind paying a bit more, around Monterey, and if want to pay a bit more then stay in Monterey. Monterey is a nice small seaside town, lots of bars/restaurants, etc. . . Hear the seals in the morning/evening, etc. You could also go a bit further and stay in Carmel - another gorgeous small quaint town that has lots of small shops (you won't have time to visit), bars, and restaurants.

Anthem;

Good summary; Laguna Seca sits about 10 miles from Monterey and a little over 12 miles from Salinas. There is a good white linen restaurant called Tarpy's about 6 miles west on Rt. 68 at Canyon Del Ray Blvd. but the best kept secret on the Penninsula is the Montery Fish House located at DelMonte Avenue and Dela Vina Ave just west of the Embassy Suites. If you end up alone - eat at the bar (it is an eating bar - not a drinking bar) and you will have a great meal.

Rainman

Carey;

As you know, the first time through will be on the sighting laps; the first time on his own - well you know the first drill.

After the first session however, it happens so fast that your though it before you know it and then your busy setting up for Rainey that it isn't until you're exiting Rainey that you can think about it. YRMV.

Rain

Good point Rain. I wasn't thinking it through...sort of day dreaming about it actually. And you are right to remind everyone here about the sighting lap. I know I was very apprehensive about my first track laps and the sighting lap really helped settle me down.

And it's probably like a lot of things, hard to live up to the hype. Still, just being able to say "I came out of the Corkscrew and setup for Rainey" has got to be fun the first time as well. :D

Thanks for the feedback. I found a decent inexpensive hotel in Monterey called the Best Western Ramona, and I'll arrive on Wednesday afternoon and leave on Saturday. I've been playing the MotoGP08 video game all afternoon to memorize the Laguna Seca track! I can't wait to drop into the Corkscrew and set up for Rainey. It will be an excellent challenge and amazing feat once I get the line right with some speed. I'm sure the Level II quickturn drill will really make a difference through the corkscrew. I'm not sure what skills I'll focus on for level 4 since it is rather "free-form" but i'm sure the coach will find tons of things I can to improve.

I'll go over to Monterey Fish House for dinner on Friday so thanks for the recommendation. If anyone wants to join for dinner any night give me a ring at six six one six two three five two seven six, I'm going up there alone so some company would be great. I'll call the school tomorrow to find out about the slide bike. Unfortunately I'll have to verify that they have the usual closet full of leathers too, I lowsided my bike at Buttonwillow last week and the darn seams popped open on my Dainese leathers! I've got a custom Pilot suit on the way but it isn't here yet.

Cordially,

Vince

Hey Vince,

Sadly (for me) I will not be there. Wish I could be, riding Laguna Seca is on the bucket list.

As for where most students stay, you might try giving the office a call (800-530-3350). They should have an idea which hotel is most popular with the students (and can verify which off track bikes are available). I do my CSS classes at VIR and like to stay at the track for the same reason you mentioned. There is only one place to eat within about 15 miles and it's also at the track so it's pretty easy to find other students. In May we ended up with eight people at the table for dinner and most of us had never met before. I swear I haven't laughed that hard in years, I was a bit worried they were going to ask us to leave :lol: . If you don't happen to hook up with anyone the night before just get to the track a few minutes early. In my experience most people are headed to CSS alone and arte keen to find someone to share the experience with. It's a big part of the reason I wish more people discovered this forum before they attend a class.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. I want to hear how you feel going around the Corkscrew for the first time!

Best,

Carey

A couple of issues with running off track training at Laguna:

1. The skid pad is often not available, and pretty sure we were told it was not for this school.

2. It's just too bumpy there...it has been a problem at Laguna for a long time for us. We can run the Lean Bike (if the pad is available), but the slide bike is no-go for sure.

On the plus side, looks like Keith will be at this school though.

Best,

CF

• 2 weeks later...

The Laguna Seca camp is almost here! Will you be going, or if you've ridden there what was your impression?

-What hotel do you plan to stay at? It would be great to be in the same hotel as other students for some dinner time discussions.

-Is it true that the slide bike can't be used?

-Do you expect it to be hot and over 100F or ocean-breeze cool?

I've attended CSS levels 1 and 2 at Streets of Willow, but couldn't resist the dream of riding at Laguna Seca because of its history. I'll be in levels 3 and 4. See you there!

Vince.

So.... How did you like the track? Did you enjoy the school? Let us know how it went!