Replace My Squared Off Tires For School?

Hi, all. I'm planning to be at NJMP in September, and I'm concerned about the condition of my tires. Although they're less than two years from their manufacture date, and there's still a ways to go before I hit the wear bars, too much commuting and not enough twisties and track has left me with a squared off rear tire. When I do lean into a turn it seems OK and I don't hesitate to use these on the street. Sometimes I think I can feel when I go over the edge of the squared off part, but I could just be imagining that.

Ordinarily I would wait a while and try to catch a good end-of-season sale before replacing them, but if this is likely to be an impediment at superbike school, I will see if I can replace them beforehand.

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Jamie,

The school requires your tires to have 90% of the tread and that includes the middles, even if there is tread left on the sides :) . The short answer is, when in doubt go with new rubber. Saving money using worn rubber can really cost you in the long run, especially on the track.

I know the school also has really good prices on the Dunlops for students; that might be worth looking into.

Best,

Carey

Highly recommend that you replace them. The school offers a good price on Dunlops for students, I'm pretty sure once you enroll for the school you can get that discount, and they can ship you the tires or you may be able to arrange to have Will mount them for you on he morning of your school day.

Obviously you want good-handling tires and if you have any concerns at all it can be a distraction. Best to just change them.

Hi, all. I'm planning to be at NJMP in September, and I'm concerned about the condition of my tires. Although they're less than two years from their manufacture date, and there's still a ways to go before I hit the wear bars, too much commuting and not enough twisties and track has left me with a squared off rear tire. When I do lean into a turn it seems OK and I don't hesitate to use these on the street. Sometimes I think I can feel when I go over the edge of the squared off part, but I could just be imagining that.

Ordinarily I would wait a while and try to catch a good end-of-season sale before replacing them, but if this is likely to be an impediment at superbike school, I will see if I can replace them beforehand.

Don't spend $9.50 of you $10 of attention on whether your tires are working good or not. Get new tires and spend your attention what really counts! Learning at the Superbike School!

My advice is get new tires. Check with the School, they have deal for students only on Q2s

Don't spend $9.50 of you $10 of attention on whether your tires are working good or not. Get new tires and spend your attention what really counts! Learning at the Superbike School!

This is a very compelling point. Not worth trying to squeeze a couple hundred extra miles out of a tire if it distracts me from focusing on what I'm there to do.

Time to go shopping!

Thanks everyone for your responses.

My advice is get new tires. Check with the School, they have deal for students only on Q2s

I had the same situation and i did replace my tires before even the 2mm depth mark on the sides, while in the center it was a bit squared tire and i was all he time worried in every single turn about tire reliability, so as DUNLOP-RTS suggest don't spend space of attention on whether your tires are working good or not.

When i did change tires and i went to the track in order to get used to the new profile of the tire, i even chopped 2 seconds from my lap times.

I am also attending in 2 weeks time a CSS level 1, so i am happy i got new rubber.

Have a nice day :)