Off Track Training Day

What a great afternoon!

I attended the first 'off track' training day held at Silverstone with CCS yesterday.

The training is available to those who have completed level 2 and above, lasts about 5 hours and allows dedicated time to experience some of the rigs such as the "No B/S Bike", "Brake Rig" and "Lean/Slide bike" as well as nice riding techniques like how to downshift more effectively and a refresher on steering, things you don't always have time or space to do or explore further during normal school days.

The slide bike is the most exiting and probably the main reason most attended, its a thrill to get the back end lit up and lets you experience a slide and how to recover in relative safety, but the other drills all teach something you will use in everyday riding. I learned something valuable from every drill.

I thought the whole day ran smoothly and worth it, (slide bike was a bottleneck, buts this was first time off track training has been run, I'm sure they will work that kink out. I hope CSS are planning to continue this on a regular basis. Other students will love it, its a worthwhile way to cap off the training levels. £75 - worth every penny!

And thanks to all the instructors who gave their time for free.

WOW!!! I've done up to Level 3 and never had a chance to use the slide bike or any other training aid, actually...

Only off-track drill I got done was the steering drill.

£75 someone please let me know how I can find out when next this is available??

EDIT - OK I went to the schedule and it was there... I guess I didn't check the schedule recently as can't do a full training day, and I did not think they provided this training... Seems like nothing else for the year, so next year, I will book this in a heartbeat once available as I really want to explore leaning and sliding without the chance of binning my Fireblade!!

Hi Guys,

Glad you enjoyed the Black Flag, heard it went well indeed. I'll pass on your comments to the powers that be, and I'm sure they'll be happy to run another. I believe there was already an intent to run another off track skills day anyway in the New Year, but I'm sure this positive feedback will most definitely help make up their minds.

Bullet

Hi Guys,

Glad you enjoyed the Black Flag, heard it went well indeed. I'll pass on your comments to the powers that be, and I'm sure they'll be happy to run another. I believe there was already an intent to run another off track skills day anyway in the New Year, but I'm sure this positive feedback will most definitely help make up their minds.

Bullet

Glad to provide feedback, I think I speak for everyone when I say this day is a fantastic way to compliment the regular school training days without any other distractions. I think these will be very popular and welcome if they are regular.

All the best Russ.

not been on here for a while

but i was at this too , what a great day! everyone i spoke to agreed and much more enjoyable than doing these off track drills in a school day because there was more time . got a couple a more tips too . thanks to the crew as usual for making it an entertaining as well as fun day . :)

Or you could learn to slide the KR way: Take one XR100, one gravel oval and nail the throttle. Slow down for the corners by keeping the throttle pinned while dragging the peg and engine cases. This allow the rear wheel to reduce traction and hence spin up despite the mediocre power output.

Personally, I like the idea of the CSS slide bike better :D

Or you could learn to slide the KR way: Take one XR100, one gravel oval and nail the throttle. Slow down for the corners by keeping the throttle pinned while dragging the peg and engine cases. This allow the rear wheel to reduce traction and hence spin up despite the mediocre power output.

Personally, I like the idea of the CSS slide bike better :D

interestingly enough had a little go at dirt oval , yeh its fantastic! , but where the slide bike comes into its own is the body position , totally different to dirt bike for me , and then the fact that your on road rubber and sliding on tarmac . so a very useful; tool in relation to track / sportbike ridng .