Why Does The Rider In This Video Lowside?

Leftlaner

Hi guys,

I was watching a video on Youtube the other day, and 1:40 into the video there's a guy on a Hayabusa (eye-abuser) who lowsides mid-corner at a very moderate speed and lean angle.

The slow speed aside, I can't see that this guy is making any obvious mistakes (such as treating the throttle as an on/off switch)..!

Any theories as to why the rear tyre spins out here..?? Perhaps he just had bad karma and ran into a patch of oil or sand?? :blink:

Link to the video here:

You can see by the actions of the cars that the road is extremely slippery, be that from the rain or a combination of some spillage and the wetness. I don't think the rider did anything wrong other than miscalculate the availble grip. Perhaps the camera men had "helped" the grip level in order to get good footage?

The first one was funny - smooshed bimmer, did both quarter panels!

I enjoyed watching some of the later guys save the slide - great driving by some of them. That little green lotus was cool too.

Definitely something on the track.

Some of those cars had their windshield wipers going. You also could see some fo them were all wet. Of course some shots showed the sun shining too.

It looks like (wrist angle) he starts turning on the power just before the back tire lets go. Not enough available traction for how he was riding.

Any theories as to why the rear tyre spins out here..??

What I see:

-Plenty of wet rubber "bearings" on that area from all the dragging car's tires.

-Right foot over rear brake lever (ball of foot should be on peg).

-Steering to the left when the skid started (opposite to proper input to try to save the slide).

-A lucky rider.

I agree that this looks like a low traction situation. Additionally it appears that this may be one of those corners that tends to suck you in at a higher than advisable entry speed (at least in reduced traction). Add to that an inexperienced rider (based on his body position and aforementioned foot position) and it is possible that it was bad rider inputs (steering vs counter steering).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

the nurburgring is like an ice rink in the damp and wet. It is without a doubt the lowest grip tarmac i have ever driven on. I've done about 150 laps there in a car, never on a bike.

I cant comment on what caused him to lose what little grip he had, but it really doesnt take much to overstep the mark on a damp track there.

• 2 months later...

Watching the road closely you can plainly see that the road is we, but just a bit slick really. Which probably means that all the fluids deposited during dry days is being pulled up and mixed with water. Happens a lot on Cali highways when it first starts raining. I son't see much wrong with what the drivers were doing per-se, other than underestimating the effects of drizzle on an previously dry track.